Dew claws?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dew claws??

DefaultRe: Dew claws??

I have to agreee with the PP's, only when they are between 3-5 days old. After that is is too painful for them. Sadie had hers removed at 3 days old as the breeder knew that 2 out of the 4 were gonna be hunting dogs for sure.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

If they have to be removed they have to be removed as pups. No reputable vet will remove dewclaws from an adult dog.

Personally, I think it is unnecessary surgery. Yes dewclaws can get ripped and broken but so can just about any part of a dogs body. On that logic we should remove all a dogs limbs to potentally avoid injury. Other extremity's such as the tail are more likely to get injured than a tiny dew claw.

If you are careful and take all the necessary procautions it should never be an issue. My fathers side of the family have had hunting dogs for generations and as far as I am aware have never experienced serious injury to life or limb. My current two Labs who are both used as gundogs have never been injured while working.

Woody is 5 months old. Can you hunt with a dog if he still has his dew claws??

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Can you hunt with a dog if he still has his dew claws??
    My guess would be - absolutely!!! There's a hunting section at this site, have you checked it out yet? You can ask over there, too.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Kathryn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Beej
    Woody is 5 months old.* Can you hunt with a dog if he still has his dew claws??
    There is no reason you couldnt. Just check your dog over from time to time and more sure the nails are clipped and that they are in good shap!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Of course you can.

Thanks to all who have shared info with me on this subject. I have heard that you HAVE to remove them if you want them to hunt. We really don't want him to go through that kind of pain.

Kathryn Guest

There is no need to worry about it. For hundreds of years dogs have had dew claws and I have only heard of 2 dogs who had them removed as older dogs. My uncles dog who had one ripped pretty bad and Joe next door whos nail grew into his back leg.
    I wouldnt worry about it.

Beau supposedly had his removed but they grow short and all crusty usuall he chews them off at the pad and we dont have to worry about it...if they are done as pups dont do them my JRT had them done and the surgery was hell for her it was absolutley awful!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12