Lay it on me, what am I doing wrong? RE: Jersey being left unsupervised. Longish

Thread: Lay it on me, what am I doing wrong? RE: Jersey being left unsupervised. Longish

imported_JerseyGirl is offline Senior Member

DefaultLay it on me, what am I doing wrong? RE: Jersey being left unsupervised. Longish

Okay, so we all know that the 1st line of defense against a "naughty" dog is exercise. Check. Check to the point where he just won't chase after anything anymore, he's tired and wants to lay down. No problems so far. If I am in the room (or DH is around) Jersey is good to hang out in the kitchen/great room area and will most often just lay down by our feet or go lay on the couch. Still no problem. :P

BUT...if I leave the area for 2 seconds Jersey is up looking for something to do. He's back to counter surfing after a short reprieve and he's gotten better at using his front paws to slide whatever he wants towards him. I know I have to move EVERYTHING but we're just talking about a few papers, the occassional book left on the kitchen table, etc. It's not even like he's finding food!! I correct him everytime I catch him but he doesn't really care. He just butt tucks away laughing at me I swear! Now, normally he is very obedient and will drop whatever he's asked, will go through his paces (sit, stay, etc.) without a hitch, goes into his crate at the first request and is all around a great dog. It's just that he pulls a Jekyl and Hyde when it comes to not being supervised.

Is this still puppy antics? Is he just being an adolescent? If that's the case then I don't have a problem with it, I just feel bad b/c if I have to leave for more than 2 minutes he has to go into his crate. I so want to be able to leave him out for even short stretches b/c I feel like he's be happier with a bit more room than his crate allows (even though he really loves his crate).

So tell me, am I doing something to case this...aw, he just layed down at my feet. Figures.

<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Lay it on me, what am I doing wrong? RE: Jersey being left unsupervised. Lon

LOL ;D

This thread makes me smile.
    ~Lindsay

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Lay it on me, what am I doing wrong? RE: Jersey being left unsupervised. Longish

Definitely puppy antics. At 14 months he still a young dog and he is probably pushing you a bit to see what he can get away with. Remain consistant. You say you are correcting him but how? if he tries countersurfing, correct him verbally and let him know it is unacceptable. If he steals thing re-direct him to a toy.

How much exercise is he getting? for a 14 month old as well as at least an hour of physical exercise I would try doing several 5-10 minute obedience work out sessions every day. Stretch his brain...this is much more effective then just throwing a ball endlessly.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Lay it on me, what am I doing wrong? RE: Jersey being left unsupervised. Longish

Sweet thread. They always surprise you, don't they?

I want to echo what Trickster said. We've been talking about this recently here. Exercise is good, but you can have too much of a good thing. If you're just throwing the ball or running with him or doing some other repetitive exercise, you aren't necessarily building a relationship and exercising his mind. If you aren't already, do 3x5 minutes of obedience every day, and I bet you'll see progress. Try to play games that make him think. Get him to target your hand or an object (like a yogurt lid) and use that skill to teach tricks.

Of course, he's young and still highly distractable and excitable. So you're going to have to keep managing him for some time.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Does he get into non food items and chew/destroy, or is this activity limited to the kitchen? I'm thinking he's surfing for food. This is Judy's problem - always looking for food. She is now 4YO and has had the run of the house from day one, and has never destroyed or chewed anything, but I cannot leave food in the kitchen. Everything is put away out of reach. When I leave the house, I even put food bins in another room so she can't get to it. Like Jersey, she always surfs when I'm not present. If I hear her in the kitchen and scold her, she acts cocky about it - slowly walks out of the kitchen wagging tail. In every other respect, she is very good and obedient, but since food is her only problem, I will continue to keep food out of her reach and be glad that I can give her the run of the house.

imported_JerseyGirl is offline Senior Member

I guess I kind of implied that I only throw a ball for him in my first post, but believe it or not we do work on obedience too.* He gets multiple sessions from both me and my DH throughout the day (extremely flexible work schedules) and while we are walking we do some heeling, sits, stays, etc and he performs like a champ!* I guess he's just being a snit and acting his age!* I just wanted to make sure this was "normal" as I've never raised a lab before!* My GSD and mutt were never like this boy!* LOL.* Oh and as for the correction for counter surfing he gets a firm "NO" and if he turns his ears off I will go to him and after he gets down I put him in either a sit-stay or a down-stay and then we usually run through a few more commands at those points too.

Phew, okay, so thanks again for reading.* *;D
    <br /><br />

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Counter surfing is tough. When it *is* rewarded, it's so highly rewarding (what they get is so awesome) that they remember it for a loooong time. And if you're running around shrieking like a loon, that just makes it that much more stimulating. So obviously it's become sort of a game for her.

I have seen various punishment-based, diabolical traps that you can plant for the dog to discourage counter surfing, but they might not work. So I think it's best just to deny her access and be as vigilant as you can. Just remember, when she's old and arthritic you will look back on these days with wistfulness.

WeHeartLabs is offline Senior Member

Adolescence and teenage mischief lol...Fun times, aren't they? Heck, we still have a 14 yo dog who will ransack the trash from time to time. It is a very rewarding thing to do for them. We are trying desperately to make sure those chances arent even there for Emma and Aidan.

And with your dog's face, how could you ever even get angry with him? Too cute...
    <br /><br />

imported_nellies mom is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a teenager. Nellie was not trustworthy until she reached 2 1/2 years of age.
    <br />~~~~~~~~<br />Danie<br />Nellie, CGC<br />~~~~~~~~<br />The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

imported_Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

I'm sure hoping it's the teenager thing because Dee is almost two and we still can't leave her unsupervised. LOL Just recently she seems to be improving a little. Touch wood she hasn't counter surfed so far.