Too big for inside dogs?
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Too big for inside dogs?

JeffG is offline Senior Member

DefaultToo big for inside dogs?

Man, once you get some information on this board...you just can't stop!

My wife says she's good with getting a lab...but the only thing that keeps her from giving the thumbs up is she thinks #1 He/she might stink up the house #2 (biggest thing) A lab seems like a outside dog, too huge for an inside pet.

I'm not going to dare bring a dog into our lives until both of us are 100% positive its what we want (because I know it'll take patience from both of us), but is there a way I can convince her that a lab is a great inside dog and the size isn't a problem? Thanks for the tips!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Too big for inside dogs?

BAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!! Tell your wife I have 6 adults in my 1400 sq. foot house.

Laura

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Tell her to read this forum. Seriously.

We are pretty much all huge advocates that labs are PEOPLE dogs that like living inside with us. They don't like to be seperated from their family. (not to mention the dangers of leaving dogs outside unattended)

Labs shed. Believe me they shed. If you have a problem with dog hair... everywhere... labs are not the right breed.

However... in my experiences labs do not smell. (ok... they have gas sometimes but don't we all?) Ender gets rinsed off if he goes swimming in a smelly lake or rolls in something nasty (knock on wood this hasn't happened yet) but otherwise, once he dries off he doesn't smell at all.
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3 inside dogs, 2 boys, myself and hubby all inside a house thats about 1200 square feet. ;D

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

In my opinion dogs are inside animals, regardless of size.

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

I've got two in my 1000 square foot house. One's 78 lbs, the other is 65.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

I don't really get the point of having a dog if it's not going to be an "inside dog" but that's just how I grew up. Anyway, in my experience I've never come across a lab that smelled. Jersey doesn't smell like dog at all unless he's been out in the heat/rain or has just been bathed. In fact people have commented about how my house doesn't smell like a dog lives here! LOL, I was like "uh, thanks."

Oh and you may just end up with a little guy like me!

PS...labs shed...like hell.

My lab follows us around the house, even if we leave the room for 2.2 seconds, he comes with. So, he would be MISERABLE as an outside dog, even though he is 95 pounds. And I think I can speak for most all of the dogs on this forum when I say they're all the same way.

If you have to have a perfect house, then I don't think ANY dog would be for you really. There's always the chance of accidents, a puppy chewing on things....

And the hair, my God, the hair.

But I wouldn't change it for anything. ;D

(Well, if he'd shed a little less, I wouldn't have a problem with that. )

Jeff, my experience.....1400 sq. ft. house....lab inside....no problems. You train 'em for what you do/don't want inside the house, and they're great.

Yep, they shed, you do need to know that. Stink? Mine's about 18 mos. old now, and doesn't smell. Maybe once or twice he did, but I take him to the pond, and after a swim, and dried, voila! No smell!

They're low-maintenance dogs.....you don't really bath them, 'cause ya don't want to lose the oil in the fur. Brushing is about all they need.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I don't mean to be blunt but your wife is WAY off the mark about Labs being "too big". For starters, proper Labs are not "too big". We are not talking Great Danes here. Labs are medium sized dogs. My Labs are 58lbs, 60lbs and 70lbs respectively --hardly huge. The huge Labs you see are back yard bred. If you get a dog from a reputable breeder the dogs will be a good size.

What do you mean a Lab might "stink up the house"? do you mean a doggy smell? if so, this can be controlled by feeding a good diet and regular brushing. Some dogs smell 'doggier' than others. If you make a habit of upping your cleaning routine this is not an issue.

Just so you know in regards to size, Labs also make excellent apartment dogs. Why? because they are an adaptable breed. This is what makes them such versatile working dogs. As long as they have their owners (Labs are a highly social breed) AND are given an adequate amount of exercise and attention they thrive in whatever sized living space.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast