Update on Louie....

Thread: Update on Louie....

DefaultUpdate on Louie....

Took him to the vet and of course they really weren't that helpful : His poop sample was negative, they gave him a dose of Drontal for the tapeworms and his other shots, as well as rabies. She said (this was not the actual vet, but a vet tech) that changing his food could cause him to have diarrhea and that it could be intestinal parasites, sooooooooo, anywho...since you all seem to be a tad more knowledgable...food recommendations please ;D It may not be his food, but this slimy icky runny poop so often isn't fun.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Update on Louie....

Oh man... personally I'd wait for the meds to do their work before switching the food. Don't want to slam his system with too much at once ya know, and changing foods can be hard on the poor dears.

btw... What a cutie!!! Love that avatar.
    ~Lindsay

Thanks , yeah that does seem like a good idea, just in case. So I'll wait on the food change.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Yep I agree that waiting for the food change might be a good idea. How old is Louie? ???

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

You might try adding 1-2 Tablespoons of pumpkin to his food - this gives him extra fiber and might help.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

He's 17 weeks old ;D

Louie is a real cutie. I agree with the waiting on the food change. The Health and Nutrition section here has a ton of info on really good foods. The members here probably use at least 25 different foods. I use Purina Pro Plan Chicken and Rice Puppy Formula for Large Breed and have had great results with both Emma and now Aidan.
    When you do switch, do so gradually. It should take at least 7 days to go from his old food to his new, if not longer. Make it a slow, gradual transition.
    Here is a site with a lot of good info on foods. It also contains a lot of other good information to keep handy for Louie in the future.
    http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/articles.html
    As far as the runny poops, unfortunately whatever is inside him needs to come out. I would just let nature run its course and clean him out.