*sigh* I guess no more off leash runs on our trails til winter...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *sigh* I guess no more off leash runs on our trails til winter...

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Default*sigh* I guess no more off leash runs on our trails til winter...

Remember the gigantic dead fish incident? (Ender found and dragged a dead fish as long as my arm up a hill towards me on our off-leash romp in the trails near our house)

Well... I begining to think we can't do our trail walks anymore til the snow is on the ground. I've caught him with pieces of the dead fish twice now and I'm begining to link it to his occasional 4 am vomit issues. He has thrown up the two days I caught him with a fish part and HASN'T thrown up when he's had zero access (doggy day care days)

UGGG how gross is that? And no more trail running for a while
    ~Lindsay

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: *sigh* I guess no more off leash runs on our trails til winter...

How is he getting the fish? is it only on one particular bit of the trial? it would suck for Ender to loose his off leash runs.

Ugh....Ender and Coco are both into the nasties lately!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

Oh no... that's really too bad. Does he find the dead fish all along the trail, or is the spot somewhat isolated so you could leash him for just that portion?

We haven't let CoCo off leash on the trails yet, we just use the long line and will let her drag it. There are too many other dogs around. But when we go home in a few weekends, I'd like to take her to my Dad's blueberry farm and let her run around like a nut!
    ~Jo & CoCo

Are there THAT many dead fish for him to get? Or is it still the same one? Couldn't you put on a bio-chemical suit and get rid of all the "pieces"? I'm like Trickster......I'd hate for him to lose the off-leash runs. Sam loves that better than anything.........

Frances

Here is my diagram: (or the best I can do)

-------River------------River----------------River--------------River
    --------------------Woodsy area where Ender explores-----------------
    ------------------------trails where I walk---------------------
    -------------Woodsy area where Ender explores------------------
    ------------paved Bike trail (old rail road tracks)-------------------------------
    --------more woodsy area... very steep though-------------
    ----------------------------Road---------------------------------------------
    house house house-our condo-house house house

So our entire walk is along the river... there is no section that isn't 100 feet from the river Ender loves to go dunk himself in the water... but I think he finds the dead fish parts in the woodsy area from other animals dragging it up and eating it up there. (well the big one he found at the shore... but the one time I caught him with a head and a fin, I was pretty sure he hadn't been down at the river... he was just in the woods)
    ~Lindsay

Maybe it's all the same fish... but lately we've had that salmon spawning thing (and there is another fish species that is in mass numbers going upstream)... people actually went down to the river to watch the fish go lol.... that was kind of funny.

I can't go find all the fish parts... this area is big and lots of brush (you should seen Ender charge through it lol)
    ~Lindsay

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

Ugh, this is making my stomach turn... between the dead fish and the dead rodents!

Nice diagram!

I'm not sure what I would do... Even in the winter it might take a while for snow to cover the ground in the forrest area, and that won't necessarily stop other animals from leaving their leftovers behind... at least until the river freezes (if it does).
    ~Jo & CoCo

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Ugh gross!! I don't remember the dead fish incident, but that would definitely be enough to make me hurl :-X

Sounds like it's the culprit for sure. It's amazing that they eat something that makes them throw up, and then...they eat it again! You would think they would remember. You know how when something makes you sick, sometimes you can't eat it for years, and just the smell makes you nauseous? Why do dogs not get this???

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Connie... what's even more silly is that he's a RAW fed dog... he gets half a cornish hen for breakfast (one example)... fresh... and yet he chooses to eat rotted out dead fish carcasses!
    ~Lindsay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast