The WRONG ball............

Thread: The WRONG ball............

DefaultThe WRONG ball............

Sam and I play ball for about 15 minutes every morning before I go to work. He is "ball-driven" for sure!

This morning I had thrown the ball for him several times. It was nice and slobbery. there was also another ball by my feet (the back yard seems to be sprouting them! probably from yesterday's session. This time when he brought today's ball back and dropped it, I just randomly picked up yesterday's ball and threw it. He dashed off to get it, saw it land, smelled it, and began to circle, hunting. It wasn't the RIGHT ball, not the one we'd been playing with today. I was intrigued. Why one earth would he not retrieve the one that had been thrown, regardless? He KNEW it was the one I threw, he was right by it when it fell out of the sky! he saw it land.

so he circles for a minute then comes running back, and picks up the RIGHT ball which is still on the ground by my feet and hands it to me. MOM, YOU THREW THE WRONG ONE. HERE, DO IT RIGHT THIS TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Frances

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: The WRONG ball............

Carter does this. There can be 50 balls around him at the park and he only wants the one we came with, the one he has been playing with! He can tell the difference and won't pick up another.

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

That's funny!

Not my CoCo, she'll take off with any old ball!
    ~Jo & CoCo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Sam you are such a funny pup!!!
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Trickster is offline Senior Member

My dogs do this too. If I throw a ball when there are others lying around they always get the right one. I think it comes down to hunting instinct. Basically, if you throw a ball in a yard full of them, your dog marks where it landed and retrieves it. When we are field training dogs are trained to do this...if you throw three marks the dog should retrieve them in the order they fell. So yeah, instinct.

Mocha does that too. Not just with her ball though with any toy she will find a toy she wants and play with just that toy. If she can't get to the toy she wants she barks at me until I get it for her or she lays in front of it staring at me waiting for me to get it. She's extreamly stubborn about it too and will not leave the toy she wants to go after another.

I think it is because their sense of smell is so acute. When we are out walking at the lake and if Oona is on leash sometimes she will stop and not budge. We have gone through this so many times I don't disregard it anymore. I will let her off leash and she will run about ten feet into some brush and come up with a foul smelling tennis ball.
    Olie

Thunders Mom is offline Senior Member

Thunder does this too. Will not get anything but "today's" ball. I think cuz it's already slobbery and wet, very distinct smell. Oh and chews much easier when all went too!

It's not the destination, it's the journey!

pj

that is too cute!
    how smart of sam.
    theo will bring back any ol' ball.
    my golden was the exact same as sam, she would know right away when the "wrong" ball was thrown and she'd promptly march right back, find the correct one and place it down, giving yours truly another chance to throw the right ball!

Mia&Buddy is offline Senior Member

Buddy is very picky about using the "right" ball too. It's really a problem when it goes over the fence into the neighbor's yard. He doesn't want to change, he wants me to go get the "right" ball!