CoCo's first kill (I think... I hope!)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CoCo's first kill (I think... I hope!)

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultCoCo's first kill (I think... I hope!)

Blah!

We have a woodpile underneath our back deck.* We put CoCo out on a line to potty in the backyard (until the fence is in) and lately she has been very interested in the wood pile.* At first I thought it was because she is infatuated by sticks, she would spread the smalll sticks from the top of the pile throughout the yard...* But then, we cleaned up all the small sticks and she STILL was going straight to the wood pile when we let her out, often getting her rope caught, which was okay because we only put her out for a few minutes by herself so we would just go down and untangle her if she didn't show up at the door after a minute or two.

So yesterday while we were eating supper, CoCo went to the back door, so I let her out on her rope.* Then my friend called, so I chatted with her for a minute.* CoCo still hadn't come back up, so I went down to get her...

SCREACH!!!* *

There she was, with her front paws up on the wood pile, with a freakin' RODENT in her mouth!* I'm not even sure if it was a large mouse or a small rat... I'm thinking a small rat as any mouse I've seen has been teeny tiny...* This was big enough to be poking out of both sides of her mouth.... BLAH!* *:-X

I knew she wouldn't give it up without a good reason, so I got DH to throw me down a dog treat, and I waved it in front of her face and said DROP IT and she did (yes, I bribed her, but I was desperate!)... it landed inside the wood pile.* I immediately took her into the house and made her drink some water and gave her a big milkbone to attempt to clean out her mouth... blah!*

DH went out with the pooper-scooper shovel and picked the thing up.... the back leg and tail had been chewed off... and he "disposed" of it in some nearby brushes at the far end of our yard (not somewher CoCo can reach).

I'm assuming she killed this thing... although its possible she found it dead.* Should we be worried about disease?* She has all of her shots, she's only 10 months so isn't due for her boosters yet.

GROSS!* :-X
    ~Jo & CoCo

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: CoCo's first kill (I think... I hope!)

Good catch COCO!! I would say as long as she wasn't bitten she'll be alright. Watch if she dosn't have an upset stomach she'll be fine. That is gross but I guess that's what they are made to do...

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

Well, CoCo didn't appear to have any bite marks, but there was blood on the rodent's mouth... That could have been its own blood though if she shook the life out of it... blech! No upset stomach either.

She was quite proud of herself, but then wasn't quite sure what to think of my *SCREACH* lol!
    ~Jo & CoCo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

LOL... coco has rats and Ender has fish... what a pair they make!
    ~Lindsay

My first Lab, Rascal was wonderful in the field except he was a mouser, I expect a bird to jump up, up would come his head and down the mouse would go. Just swallowed them whole, never had mice in the house,. Till one fall day one came from somewhere and ran under the coffee table, Rascal got it and destroyed the fish tank.

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

GROSS COCO! ;D lol
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Heck cats kill 'em all the time without any ill effects. I'm guessing it's okay .. but what do I know? I'd call the vet and ask.

Good Girl CoCo. She should be fine I would think. I know that mini schnauzers are good at catching small rodents. So if they are fine with doing it, I'm sure she is too. She has every right to be proud of herself. What a good girl you got there!!!

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

It has been my observation that labs are not good "killers". They are bred to retrieve and tend to not bite hard. Also, I have never seen them shake their catch. This tends to get them bit. M&J love to hunt squirrels, chipmonks, moles, etc. but they usually kill by stomping on them. They never ate any.
    If Coco catches anything else, be sure it's dead before you take it out of her mouth.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I bet she was very proud of herself. When Brigetta sees a squirrel or something in the yard I'm always afraid she'll get it and all I can think about is her with some dead animal in my mouth and then licking my face!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast