Very upset..Mercedes had a seizure

Thread: Very upset..Mercedes had a seizure

DefaultVery upset..Mercedes had a seizure

I am upset beyond words, at 5 am Mercedes went in to a seizure, I had fell asleep on the couch as I usually do these days with Mercedes at my feet at the end of the couch. Toward morning she went into her crate as she usually does..then came flying out ,jumped onthe couch, wimpered and then began taking a fit right on top of me. I eased her down to the floor and just rubbed her and talked calmly to her..inside I was dying , but tried to remain calm. She stiffened up and I was sure she was dead from a stroke or heart attack. I am now thinking that all her life of two yrs her sleep habits are really wierd. She paddles her feet, runs to high heaven, eyes rolling and soemtimes low barking. I thought she was dreaming...now I wonder if these were not seizures!!! Iam going to take a wait and see attitude to see if she has another one before i take her to vet.. I do not want her on pheno for the rest of her life if I can help it. Once they are on these meds it is a lifetime thing. I had a dog in the 70's who was epileptic and on meds, they made him sick all the time and very tired. Iam not believing this happened to her, I did not think Labs had a history of epilepsy. I have made myself sick over this and cannot stop the crying. She was spayed in June and had every test you can think of before surgery because I wanted to make sure she was healthy.. she passed all them and had no problem at all with the sugery. How did her good health go bad in this short of time?Does anyone have a Lab who takes seizures?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paula is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Very upset..Mercedes had a seizure

Seizures are so scary. i have a Pomeranian who has a about 5 in the 2 years i have owned him. he is not on medicine for it.

Paddy's Mom has a lab that has seizures. Hopefully she'll see this post and can tell you more about it.

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry to hear about Mercedes's seizure. Several of us have epi dogs. My Theo is one; Paddysmom's Flynn is another. It is totally managable most of the time. Many dogs do not need to be medicated--Theo, for example, only has seizures every 5-6 months, and the vets don't believe that it's severe enough yet to justify medicating him. Others are medicated, and my understanding is that the medicine is much more sophisticated now than it was years ago, and unpleasant side effects are NOT inevitable.

The seizures are so scary, especially the first time. I have to say that now it's not scary anymore. It's upsetting, to be sure, but we just hear it happening and then we do what needs to be done (protect his head, bring him around, give him honey and peanut butter to soothe him during the post-ictic period).

So I would talk it all over with your vet, and get a second opinion if necessary, but don't despair. Epi dogs live long and happy lives. There are also various online support sites--Google "canine epilepsy" and you'll find them.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

That is so upsetting. Great post from Theo's Dad also. I know you will be able to get a lot of information from the members here. So sorry this happened to Mercedes.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Oh sweetheart! I know you must be so upset. Please try not to worry too much. Maybe it will just be a once in a blue moon thing, or maybe it will not happen again at all. Even if it does, sounds like you have gotten some great advice about dealing with it.

Wish I had some advice too. I just wanted you to know I'm thinking about you. Big hugs!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Sorry to hear Mercedes had a seizure. My dad's border collie was just diagnosed with it too.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Mygirls2 is offline Senior Member

My Sophie has epi. She started having seizures around two years old and had to go on med. Her seizures are completely controlled. She is now 13 1/2 years old.

There are a lot worse things that could go wrong. We feel very lucky that this has been contolled and she has lived this long and active life.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Good post, Nathan.
    Jade - this is an excellent reference point for those with epi kids. Hope it is of some use to you.

http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/Thomas.html#anchor525558

Seamus and Flynn

Thank you friends for your advise and concern, I really hope this will be a one time occurance, but if it is not, I will do all I can for Mercedes and just deal with it the best I can. The web site was a real good source of information. Thank you. I will keepyou posted if anything more happens.