Ever have them "forget" a command??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever have them "forget" a command??

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

DefaultEver have them "forget" a command??

Molly seems to have forgotten what "down" and it's corrosponding hand signal mean. I'm pretty sure she didn't "forget" but rather she's just chosing not to listen to me when I ask her to "down". She does her sit, stay, settle, leave it, drop it, give it, take it, 100% no matter how I throw them at her. She is about 97% with her come (I'm really proud of that one), but the "down" has me baffled.

I've started back at square one with her, luring her down to the ground, click..."goooood down molly, oh that was such a good down, gooood down" treat(every other time lol).

Hopefully after christmas we'll start a new obed. class and I'd like to get Molly her CGC
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_azlab is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ever have them "forget" a command??

I can relate. Cinnamon thinks stay means lay down I'm going to be here a while. Sit stay does not exist in her opinion and it never has.

She has the prettiest and I mean prettiest lab sit I have ever seen. I can count the # of sloppy lab sits I have seen in 21 months on one hand. But she hates to sit for very long.

And I have decided not to fight her until I think she is ready to go back to class and work on her CGC. She is not quite 2 and she isn't ready yet but getting closer. Like you maybe after Christmas.
    Karon<br /><br />

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Many times* -- how old is Molly? If she's less than 12 months old, I have suggestions.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Hmmm, have you ever read the obedience/tracking forum?* Generally they like to forget whenever you pay a lot of money to have a lot of people watch you show off just how smart your dog is (and just how stupid you are).
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Djc1249 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    Hmmm, have you ever read the obedience/tracking forum?* Generally they like to forget whenever you pay a lot of money to have a lot of people watch you show off just how smart your dog is (and just how stupid you are).*

;D ;D ;D Haahaa

Yep, mine 'forgets' many times. I'm a lazy trainer though, many times
    <br />Did you say TREAT ?!?<br /><br />Tucker, 3 yrs. --- Tipper, 10 mos.<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/284460<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/715680

lol @ Lydia!!!

Bob, yes she is under 12 months, she is 10 months old (will be 11 on November 2nd). We practice our obed. throughout the day and have "sessions" for at least 30 every other day.
    *Stacey*

WeHeartLabs is offline Senior Member

Stacey, since Aidan has arrived, Emma has forgotten quite a few commands. Sunday was the worst! So today I spent a lot of time with her and we did some basic stuff together. Sits, stays, downs...all with treats. She seems better now. Maybe her nose was out of joint a bit.

Molly is still a baby too. They go through these little periods.
    <br /><br />

LOL @ Emma!!!

Abby forgot LOTS of commands when Molly moved in. I'm pretty sure she was in it for the treats

Molly says: "Hey Emma isn't it fun forgetting all the commands and getting the extra treats?! Stacey wants to take me to new classes after christmas time so I can get my CGC..if it involves treats you can count me in!!! She just needs to send in my silly AKC paperwork"
    *Stacey*

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

[email protected]! Exactly!

Angus has been doing "take a bow" for almost a year now. I dunno, maybe more than a year.

Recently, for Rally, he had to learn how to do a "Moving Down." This means, front legs go down first, or, all fold back at the same time. The goal is to not do a sit first, but go straight from a stand into a down.

Simon has a wonderful folding down from a stand. I didn't teach him that, that's just how he does it. I thought it was very cute when we first brought him home. I was doubly pleased when I found out it was actually a desirable thing for Rally.

Angus has always done a sit, then a down. So, to teach him Moving Down, I incorporated some of his skill at "Take a Bow." So now, he's doing a great "Moving Down," but we've temporarily lost "Take a Bow." :-\

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

The following is adapted from a previous post I made:

================================================== ========================

My Puff [YF, AKC field line (competitive breeder), 63lbs., DOB: 8-'01] had a number of episodes during her development from 5 - 13 months which some would call "teenage (mis}behavior" or testing authority.

These began around age 5 months and continued through about 13 months and her longest, most disruptive period was around 13 months.

I VERY strongly disagree with viewing this as normal "teenage" behavior because I think it* misunderstands both human teen behavior AND dog behavior.

Re: dog behavior -- my Puff had most basic commands quite well learned (sit, stay, come, down, etc.) by at least 5 mos. old.* At that time we walked (as we do now) for about 60-70 minutes in a nature preserve with her off leash (she wore a check cord/long line then).

I repeatedly found that for a couple days every few months until about 13 months Puff acted as if she forgot all her previously learned commands -- she didn't obey and acted very capriciously.

When that happened, I retrained her at mealtimes using a NILIF (Nothing in Life is Free) protocol -- giving a command and, when it was obeyed, feeding her a few more kibbles from my hand.* A few days of NILIF feeding/training and she'd relearn the forgotten commands and was fine until the next eclipse, a month or so later.

My strong belief is that in 99.99% of the cases it is NOT a testing of who has the authority but rather because this is during a time of rapid physiological and developmental change with some hormones coming on-line and others going off-line.*

I think that development interferes with learning and retention.* There is such a thing as "state dependent learning"* -- learning under the influence of certain drugs will be less when those drugs are removed, or added, etc.

I think this is what is happening with our dogs when they lose learning during their first 13 months of development -- because of the hormonal changes they're going through.

Calling it "teenage" years and as if they're challenging authority is wrong on several counts.

For one thing, the time this occurs is usually between 5-13 months of age which, for most dogs, is before their age of puberty or reproductive capacity.

For another, equating this with human "teen age challenges of authority" shows a lack of understanding of the functional purpose of this human teen age behavior.

Its major purpose in human societies is to produce a separation between fledgling adult and parents so the teen can begin building a life independent of parents.

Think of what problems would exist if a teen was saying, "Gee, what wonderful parents -- I don't want to ever leave them" and if the parents were also saying, "what a wonderful child -- I don't want him/her to ever leave us."

instead of the child thinking the usual:* "they are SO stupid, I can't wait until I can leave" while the parents are thinking "let me count the days until ...."

What would THAT result in?

The functional purpose of human "teenage rebellion" is to provide a reason for separation between parent and child for ALL parties.* That is certainly NOT the case with owner and dog.

I think viewing this behavior in dogs as repeating blips in memory retention due to rapid development and* internal chemical changes is far more accurate and leads to far more useful actions.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast