Progress on Stay!

Thread: Progress on Stay!

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultProgress on Stay!

I'm finding tha teaching stay seems to be more dirrfiult than teaching sit or down. Today though, we wroked on it and everytime I held out my hand he stayed..sometimes he was up from a sit and I said stay and he stopped! Soe definitely got a treat for that one!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Progress on Stay!

I think stay would be tougher. And if there are distractions around, that adds even more difficulty.

I remember trying to teach stay....definitely more difficult (for us anyway).

I played 'find it' with Tucker...I'd hide a toy near him, have him stay, then tell him to go 'find it'. Slowly made it harder...had him stay, took the toy into a different room to hide it for him to find. It took some time, but playing find it helped him to learn stay.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

way to go Tal!!!

Molly made a new "record" for her sit/stay today...she sat and stayed for 1 minute and 15 seconds Stay was one of my favorite commands to teach (besides come)/ We worked our way in 5 second intervals...started with staying for 5 seconds, then I'd add a few more on until we got to 10 seconds.

If you see him ready to break his stay give him the release that way you're not setting him up for failure...that really worked wtih Molly
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

RIght now I teach him to stay inside and outside where and when there are no distractions. He's not to the point where he focuses on me only yet. He's only 3 months so his attention span isn't the longest yet! It just takes time.

Those are great ideas on trainig him this...I'll give them a try.