Chance got in a scuffle

Thread: Chance got in a scuffle

DefaultChance got in a scuffle

We had Chance to the park yesterday with a friend and her "Canadian Eskimo Dog" Nanuk. Nanuk is about 55 lbs but taller and longer than Chance, and Chance is 65-70 lbs and more muscular. We took them into a empty tennis court and closed the doors so they wouldn't get away and they were having a great time playing fetch and running around. UNTIL Nanuk tried to mount Chance - he objected and a full fledged snarly-growly-ball-of-brown-and-white-fur happened. To my eyes and ears it was intense. My boyfriend separated them. Nanuk had a small dot of blood between his ear and eye - and Chance was covered in saliva on his ear and neck and shoulder. Then they resumed playing! And they were happy on the walk home. I don't know who came out as top dog, but they worked it out amongst themselves.
    Has anyone else had to separate their dogs for fear of injury? Is Chance a little too rough? What can I do?! What would you have done? Or is this normal / to be expected?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Chance got in a scuffle

I'm no expert, but I think it's probably pretty normal. CoCo plays with her male "cousins", my BIL's rottie and boxer, and they have loads of fun but every so often it appears to get heated. We just separate them for a time out, and then they are back to stealing the ball, playing tug-o-war, bitey-face/leg/tail!

Sounds like you handled it like you should have!
    ~Jo & CoCo

The other dog mounted Chance, of course he did what he had to defend himself. My Samson was a sweetheart. Didn't have a mean bone in his body. My brother's black lab mounted him and LOOK OUT!! Samson made the scariest sounds I've ever heard come out of a dog and started to fight back. My brother and I separated them and then they were both fine. Like nothing had happened. I really think they have to show each other who is the boss or at least that neither of them are and then all is well. I think girls are different though. They don't make up so easily. I think they want to have a clear winner. (Just my take on it, not an expert)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Objecting to being humped is normal but I have to draw a line when blood is involved. You certainly did the right thing by diffusing the situation though. Next time watch them both closely. If they start getting carried away separate them until they have calmed down.

The blood made me uneasy too. It was such a small spot that I can't figure out if Chance's teeth could have caused it - it was almost like a pin prick. I'm thinking it might have came from the fence they were next too, or a sharp pebble on the ground... I really don't know. I have been told in the past to just let them sort it out, so we let them go for a bit, but I think we stepped in at the right time.