Need suggestions please
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need suggestions please

Mybabymambo Guest

DefaultNeed suggestions please

I am going to put Mambo on some better food. Right now we use Purina Beneful. I know some dont agree with that. I would like to put him on a better food and I am going to go look after work. I just have no idea whats good and whats not. What should I look for besides not wanting the fillers. Should I get adult now. He is 7 months old. He has put alittle weight on and could stand to lose 2-4 pounds. Any suggestions would be great. Hopefully this doesnt turn into a heated conversation. I am truly clueless and need to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hunter is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need suggestions please

I can only tell you what I have been using and works well for me.

Pro Plan Beef and Rice - been using it for 6+ years with never a problem, never had any allergies or adverse reactions with 3 Labs. All 3 were/are healthy, shiney smooth coats, not overweight.

Of course every dog is different, so what is great for me, may not be good for someone else.

Sadies Mom is offline Senior Member

Not sure about what to be looking for, but I can tell you that I feed Sadie Nutrisouce, and have been told that it is a pretty good food. My sister feeds her dogs Canidae All life Stages Formula.
    <br />Dawn<br />mom to 3 kids, 1 angel, 3 anoles, 2 cats, &amp; 1 lab<br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Laura

Trickster is offline Senior Member

What foods do you have available in your area?

Picking the right food really depends on the availability of certain brands, your budget, your dogs individual needs, etc. No one can give you a single recommendation and say that it will work for your dog. We can only give you rough idea of what to look and what to avoid in foods. Picking the brand you want to try is totally up to you.

Firstly, I recommend you take a look at this website: www.dogfoodproject.com

On the website read the sections regarding what to look for and what to avoid in dog food.

Next up is picking a brand. Again, this comes down to what you have available in your area. There are all kinds of different foods from "middle of the road" foods like ProPlan, Nutro, Eukanuba, all of which are readily available to almost everyone. These are not the best foods in terms of quality ingredients but they are certainly not the worst and dogs tend to do well on them. They are definitely a big step up from Beneful.

If you want to feed a high quality "premium" kibble you should look into Eagle Pack, Canidae, Solid Gold, Innova, Timberwolf Organics, California Natural, etc.

For a comparison, here are the ingredients of Beneful Orginal:

Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), rice flour, beef, soy flour, sugar, sorbitol, tricalcium phosphate, water, animal digest, salt, phosphoric acid, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, sorbic acid (a preservative), L-Lysine monohydrochloride, dried peas, dried carrots, calcium carbonate, calcium propionate (a preservative), choline chloride, vitamin supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), added color (Yellow 5, Red 40, Yellow 6, Blue 2), DL-Methionine, zinc sulfate, glyceryl monostearate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, manganese sulfate, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite.
    F-4090

Compared to Timberwolf Organics:

Venison, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Lamb, Whole Ground Millet, Lamb Meal, Venison Meal, Whole Ground Barley, Low Ash Salmon Meal, Whole Ground Flaxseed, Carrot, Watercress, Spinach, Celery, Parsley, Fennel Seed, Wild Salmon Oil, Unrefined Walnut Oil, Atlantic Kelp, Alfalfa Leaf, Amaranth, Blueberries, Glucosomine, Potassium Chloride, Cranberries, Pears, Figs, Thyme, Anise Seed, Ground Cinnamon Bark, Fenugreek, Garlic Pieces, Sunflower Seeds, Sesame Seeds, Apples, Chickory Root, Spirulina, Choline Chloride, Lecithin, Probiotics: (Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Lactis, Bacillus Bifidum, Streptococcus Diacetilactis, Bacillus Subtillus), Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols ( A Source of Vitamin E), Lysine, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Thiamine, Methionine, Carnitine, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Iodine Proteinate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine ( a source of vitamin B6), Copper Proteinate, Selenium Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Papain, Yucca Schidigera Extract.

Mybabymambo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/dogfoods.html
    [/quote

Thank you for the great link. I kind made me feel not so lost. I read through very briefly and I am about to print so I can have inhand while I am reading labels.

Just still not sure if I should stay with puppy food or move to adults.

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

I mainly look for a meat Meal to be in the first ingredient or a meat then Meat Meal. Then make sure there is no BHA preservatives or tons of fillers. Alot of it depends on your budget and selection in your area. If you want something that is pretty easily available. ProPlan seems to be a popular choice. Diamond, Kirkland brand also seem to be popular even though there was the scare last year I doubt there is a problem with them and they are affordable.

Mocha's on ProPac L&R which is available at the Feeder's Supply stores around her but I don't know who else sells it.

Nutro is another pretty good food I beleive that's not to hard to find.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

Samsmom1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    LABBY,

Thank you sooooo much for all of your input on this site. You have the best information and the cutest pics.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

If Mambo is 7 months you are safe switching him to an adult formula.

Mybabymambo Guest

Thanks for the help. I will be making the trip to the petfood warehouse tonight. Wish me luck..lol So many choices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast