Zeb- long, I am sorry but I am very upset- Update in green
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zeb- long, I am sorry but I am very upset- Update in green

zgirls is offline Senior Member

DefaultZeb- long, I am sorry but I am very upset- Update in green

First thank you for the good thoughts.* Those of you who suspected a ruptured abscess were correct.* The vet said it was caused by some kind of trauma or bee sting or something like that. He says they come up quickly- within 24 hours.* However, he told us he had never seen the discharge a green color as Zeb's was- usually it is a yellowish color.* He shaved the area to get rid of the hair, rubbed a salve over the area ( which by the time we had gotten him the infected area was as large the hand spread that would palm a basketball.* Last night it was as large as a baseball.), and gave him a steroid shot.* It took 3-4 techs to hold him down while the vet took care of him- ever weak Zeb is one strong determined fellow. They were afraid they would have to put him under to work on him because he struggled so.* For the next three weeks, we have to give him 750 mg of Cephalexin twice a day, 20 mg of Prednisone two times a day for three days, and rub Animax ointment on him for seven days.

He seems to be feeling a bit better already.* He is following me from room to room although he moves slowly- this morning he did not even have the energy to move .

I have never heard back from the girl who managed the boarding spa over the weekend.* The girl in charge today could not have been nicer and more helpful.*Linda , I agree, I wish the girl had gone over him before letting Momma take him home. She feels as if this is her fault- I told her absolutely not. It could have very well happened on my watch.

Right now he is sitting by Sam's feet watching TV. Poor baby boy- it has been a dreadful day for him.* Again, many , many thanks for all the good advice and good thoughts.

Sam and I returned late last night after spending a lovely weekend in Williamsburg, Yorktown, and
    attending a party at Mt. Vernon.* We boarded Zeb and Zoe at a boarding spa for dogs that we have used two
    other times .* Those other times have gone well and the two of them have enjoyed themselves tremendously.

Since we were coming in around midnight; my mother offered to pick the two of them up between 1 and 2.
    My mother is 75 and was a bit nervous about getting them home since Zeb can pull and be a bit headstrong.
    The girls at the spa brought Zeb out first.* Momma said they then went back to get Zoe who was freaking
    out at being separated from Zeb.* Momma couldn't believe how Zoe pulled to get to the van where Zeb was
    waiting.* My mother then brought them to her house. My mother is bit nervous around big dogs and pets the top
    of their heads only. When my daughter got off work she went to get the dogs in order to bring them home.*

Mary Louise noticed a raw area on Zeb's neck ( on the underside of his extended double chin).* It is the
    size of a baseball, tinged with green,* and smelled as if antiseptic had been put on it.

Momma was horrified as nothing was said to her when she picked them up.* He walked out without pulling and
    was quiet so she was relieved.* She is feeling terrible now for not noticing.* They called us on the
    cell phone around 10 as Zeb was being listless.* When we finally got home around midnight, he was waiting
    for us by the door.* However, he was very quiet, no wiggling, no jumping....not at all like my happy
    go-lucky boy.

We checked him out, put him in the bed with me, and he finally went to sleep-he would thump his tail softly
    but that was all the emotion we saw.* Sam got up to feed and walk the both of them around 7:30.* This
    morning he only ate half his food and came back to bed with me .* Both of us slept to 10 and I hand feed him
    the rest of his food.* He is moving slowly and cautiously. Right now he is asleep at my feet.* Zoe is
    keeping an eagle eye on Zeb.

I left a message on the spa's answering machine asking them to call me and tell me about the weekend as Zeb
    has this raw spot on his neck.* So far, I have not heard from them.* If they do not call me back in a few
    hours, I will email them. If they do not respond, should I report them to anyone?* Who?* Animal control?
    SPCA?* I have never had an animal of mine mistreated or hurt while at a kennel.* We are so baffled. We have never had a problem with them nor have any of our friends who board their dogs there.

Right now we are treating it ourselves.* It does not look infected, but if it does look that way we will
    take him to our vet.*

I just want my mess pot back- my happy go-lucky boy. This is so distressing .......I am home with him
    today...fortunately I had planned to take the day off.* Please keep my little man in your thoughts.

Thanks for listening.
    Lee
    Mother of Zoe Mae and Zeb AKA The Mess Pot

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Wendy B. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Zeb- long, I am sorry but I am very upset

So sorry to hear hope he is ok-and that place owns up to what happened

kym
    kym is offline Senior Member

That's horrible that they didn't say anything. If you don't hear from them, I would pay them a visit at the spa, that way they can't avoid you. Who knows, they may not even be trying to be shady, maybe the thought it was not a huge deal. Of course, any thing that happens to our sweet dogs is a big deal! I hope he feels better and your mess pot returns

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

Awww, poor Zeb!! I hope he feels like himself very soon and the raw spot heals up!

I would keep calling and calling until they answered, and maybe even drive back over there with Zeb! It must be really bothering him if its affecting his behaviour like that, poor fella. I would want to know exactly what happened, as I am sure you do.
    ~Jo & CoCo

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

It doesn't sound right at all Lee. I think I would take him to the vet, especially since his beviour is off and he's not eating right. You never know.

I would be extremely upset with the "spa" and would probably drive there myself. I wouldn't report them yet, wait until you can find out what happened.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

If it isn;t too far I would pay them a visit if you don't hear from them. It may be no big thing, just a bump from playing. Zeb may be listless today just becasue he is tired and relieved to be home. If he doesn;t have more energy soon it might be worth taking him to the Vet for a check up.

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

How far is it Lee? I would put him in the car and drive over there and show it to them. What exactly does it look like ... a hot spot type spot or maybe where he was bitten by another dog? Please let us know what happens; sorry your nice weekend turned into this!

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Lee, please take Zeb to the vet ASAP. It could be a ruptured abscess, which could be very dangerous even fatal. Please, take him to the vet. Forget about the spa place for now, take care of Zeb first. Please, it just does not feel right.

zgirls is offline Senior Member

thanks, guys....Sam has been saying we should drive over there also with him......it is only 15 minutes from our house........I just hate seeing that "whipped dog" look on his face.......my poor baby boy....
    Lee
    Mother of Zoe Mae and Zeb AKA The Mess Pot

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Poor Zeb. I vote for vet immediately, as well. First to rule out whether it is serious, then to have some real information and a diagnosis to confront the spa with if necessary.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast