Louie keeps having the runs...

Thread: Louie keeps having the runs...

DefaultLouie keeps having the runs...

Louie is wearing me out....not by being himself (don't all labs wear ya out LOL)....it seems like every few days he goes through this period of having diarrhea! I thought I had found a food that worked well for him, and for the most part it does (Nutro Chicken meal rice and oatmeal) but these nights where he wakes me up every 1-2 hours to "explode" are killing me. He goes to the vet tuesday, but I doubt they give me any sound good advice...Anyone know of a good food to try for him that will be gentle on his stomach and not have the runs right after he eats??? ???

*sigh* thanks :-\

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Louie keeps having the runs...

How old is Louie? if he is having diarrhea as often as every few days something is obviously not working for him. For now or until you take him to the vets I would put him on a bland diet to settle his stomach. You can use boiled chicken, rice or hamburger. A combination of all three is probably best to keep him interested.

If you speak to your vet and he/she thinks his problem is dietry related I personally would get him off the Nutro and onto something with fewer ingredients. Something like this:

California Natural Chicken Meal & Rice Puppy

Chicken Meal
    Ground Brown Rice
    Ground White Rice
    Chicken Fat
    Flaxseed
    Sunflower Oil
    Natural Flavors
    Taurine
    Vitamins/Minerals

Something with basic ingredients is usually easier on the digestion.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Make sure you take a fresh stool sample to the vet. Sami had symptoms like you're describing when she had an overgrowth of clostridium. I'd probably also request a Giardia test. It may not necessarily be the food.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Like Thatsmygirl said...I'd request a Giardia test and clostridium test. Sounds like the symptoms Buck had from Giardia.

Also, have you changed his treats recently?? Buck had issues with milkbones once I stopped giving him those he was ok again.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Cooper had the same problem and the night poops were driving me crazy ( and I was sleep deprived!!!) I ended up putting him on duck and sweet potato food. I also give him 1 can of string beans( no salt added) at his evening meals. I bought probiotics online that help keep the good bacteria going in his intestine and supplemented him with that until I saw his stool firming up. Pumpkin also helps firm up the stool. I did have my vet run tests for worms and any other parasite and after spending tons of money found out he did not have anything! I tried all brands of food eagle pack, nutro etc. I ended up with natural balance.

Yeah, at this point it sounds like you should go the vet. Bring a FRESH sample. Vet will probably put the dog on a bland diet. Maybe I/D or W/D by Hills. I recommend sticking with that for a few weeks, even if the dog is better - let everything settle - then SLOWLY, maybe over 12-14 days switch over.

I don't recommend putting him on the prescription diet for a week and have everything be ok for a week and then go right back into store bought food. The stomach just needs to settle for at least 3-4 weeks on the prescription diet and maybe longer.

Also, I would ask the vet for this food and not just use a rice and boiled chicken diet. Rice and boiled chicken is only okay for a few days, Plus its hard to determine the correct healthy ratio for each dog.

As for allergies, I think that is what everyone first suspects with chronic dia.... Happended with my dog, but it was not an allergy.

No idea what it ended up being, but I think it is a combination of stress, and bones (bull stix). We go the giardia test 3 times - was on a few rounds on meds. Last things we had him on was Tylan Powder and the Hills. We stuck withthe Hills for about 4 weeks after we finished the Tylan powder and that seemed to do the trick!

Also, as for treats, stick with the kibble you feed until everything settles down.

Good Luck - please post your result. Most people never post the solution, only the problem.

How old?

Thank you for all the advice....his appt is tomorrow morning at 9 (Hawaii time) so afterwards I will post what the vet has said. I will take a fecal sample and ask that they run those tests on it. I've tried feeding him rice and he won't eat it. He just flat out refuses to eat it.

I'm also concerned, but not sure if I should be, because his poop is never "firm." It is always soft. I don't even pick it up because it would "melt" and get all smooshy trying to. I just water it down with the hose and it pretty much liquifies immediately. I would think by now, his poop should have at least SOME firmness to it.

By the way, Louie is 4 months old. I shall post an update tomorrow!

Let us know...

Coopers stool was never firm either. I hated taking him on walks as cleaning up was a pain!!! His stool is firm now after I made all the changes. let us know what the vet says.