Digging

Thread: Digging

DefaultDigging

We do not have a fenced in backyard, and since we are selling the house we are not putting up a fence. I bought a stake for the ground the other day and thought itwould be nice to put Maddi outside on the leach for a little while. However, she dug a lovely hole in the yard. Do any you have dogs that dig? If so is there any way of breaking this habit?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Digging

Don't leave her outside alone

Seriously, she's bored and finding (inappropriate) ways to amuse herself. The only way to stop her is to be there to supervise.

Dani is offline Senior Member

What Nicole said. She's bored and that is her way of telling you.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I personally do not think it is ALWAYS out of boredom. I think there is something behind the action.

I have seen my dog and other dogs do it when in no possible way could they have been bored. For instance, just getting home, letting the dog out and within 2 seconds after the urination, the dog runs around and then starts to dig...or in the middle of a fun game of fetch...its not always about boredom IMO - but then again, I don't know what the reason is.

I have asked my dogs, but....they ignore me.

PhoebeJeebies is offline Senior Member

Whether it is out of boredom or not, it is a behaviour that needs to be corrected, and you can't correct a behaviour if you aren't there to observe it at the time it occurs.* We taught Phoebe "no dig" and when she starts to do it (for whatever reason) we interrupt her with this command and bring her attention elsewhere...to a ball, toy, etc.* If you are wanting to put her outside for a bit, come with her and do a few tricks.* We don't have a fenced in yard either so I can understand you wanting to get her outside.* Or you can just watch from the window if you don't want to be outside and correct the behaviour when it occurs. Do you take her to a dog park?
    Becca & Phoebe

I agree, it needs to be corrected, it is not acceptable

Cinnamon is allowed to dig in the side yard and prune the fig tree but she knows she cannot dig anywhere else or prune any of the other trees. Everytime she dug a hole where she shouldn't I filled it in with the dirt and cayenne pepper and sprinkled cayenne on top. I bought the large size at Costco. It did the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoebeJeebies
    Whether it is out of boredom or not, it is a behaviour that needs to be corrected, and you can't correct a behaviour if you aren't there to observe it at the time it occurs. We taught Phoebe "no dig" and when she starts to do it (for whatever reason) we interrupt her with this command and bring her attention elsewhere...to a ball, toy, etc. If you are wanting to put her outside for a bit, come with her and do a few tricks. We don't have a fenced in yard either so I can understand you wanting to get her outside. Or you can just watch from the window if you don't want to be outside and correct the behaviour when it occurs. Do you take her to a dog park?
    I would love to take her to a dog park but I have not found one that is in the area. Our neighbor has two labs and we let them play together every now and then, but we don't see each other that much. I will have to try your advice about the "no dig" thank you! I have taught her "leave it" for the mulch, grasshoppers, and the cats so hopefully this will catch on as well. I do watch her from the windows, I hate having her outside at all, but she's like the children, they have to get out and get some fresh air daily! We go for daily walks but I sometimes feel bad that she is in the cage while I am cleaning or doing laundry (she carries all the laundry around the house on laundry day).

Thanks again!