Purebred Lab??????
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purebred Lab??????

Mystrie is offline Senior Member

DefaultPurebred Lab??????

My stepson bought Miller from a fancy petshop downtown Chicago. Paradise Pet Salon. His papers say he came from a breeder in Iowa (puppy mill for sure), was transferred to a broker and then ownership was transferred to the pet shop. He kept Miller for 2 weeks and then asked us to take him because he wasn't quite up to caring for a crazt puppy. :

Miller is unusually large for a lab. He is about the size of a female great dane. Also it appears that he was born with an extra rear toe on each foot that was removed. Anyone familiar with a large breed of dog that has an extra rear toe? What's to stop a puppy mill from intermixing breeds? They can just lie about the parentage if they have enough dogs on the premisses, can't they? I'm wondering.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Purebred Lab??????

I've seen some pretty big Labs that were "purebred".* Purebred does not equal "well bred".* There is a breed standard but only responsible breeders breed to it.* Murray is 24" and I've seen Labs taller than him around.

As for the toe being removed, are you talking about the dew claws?*

Quote Originally Posted by Mystrie
    What's to stop a puppy mill from intermixing breeds?
    Absolutely nothing.

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

Great Pyranees have double dew claws on their back legs. it's a hall mark of the breed. But when a pyr is mixed it usually produces a long haired dog.

Very big though

Freedom is 27" at the shoulder and people are always asking if he is a great dane mix

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

There is a choc boy around here who comes up to my waist...I am 5 ft 9 and he weighs 130 pounds. He s massive. They said he is a special Bavarian strand of the breed .(lol) So, I have seem them this big and he is a pure bred.

Nothing stops the puppy mills from mixing the breeds. Nothing stops them from the crimes they commit against dogs. Because people just keep buying from them.

Coming from Iowa also makes me wonder, because we see some big bodied tall Labs around here, these are beloved by guys like me who like to hunt pheasants in CRP. These are large marginal fields taken out of production and planted to tall prairie grass often reaching 4-5 feet tall. I just measured Rowdy, both his parents are tall and he is 21 inches at the should now. He will be 21 weeks old Sunday.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

How big is he in weight/height?

As some have already mentioned, Lab breeding has totally spiralled out of control with back yard breeders. rottnlabs described it perfectly that purebred does not necessarily equal well bred. I have seen some ridiculously sized Labradors. I find that public perseption of the breed has now got to the point where 90-100lb Labradors are considered the norm. I can't tell you how many times I have been told that my dogs are "too small" for Labs.

My Samson was unusually large too. I was told that he was a mix of English and American breed, or "field and show." He was very tall and long but was also very stocky. I used to think I had a really odd lab but then I saw a yellow lab at the park that was, like you say yours is, "the size of female great dane"
    So it is possible.

He is a beautiful dog.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Wait, who's Miller? Is that him in your siggy pic? Sorry, I'm confused.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Yep! That's Miller in my sig pic. The extra toe is NOT a dew claw. I'll have to get a picture of his foot. Hold on.

Ok, Do I have the only lab on earth that is afraid of a camera? This is the best picture I could get. I really wish I could have got one of him laying down. Don't yell at me for the long nails either. I used to Dremel his nails until one day he broke a nail at the dog park and ever since, won't let anyone touch his feet! :

The arrow is pointing to a purplish, shriveled patch of skin that has no hair. He has this on both back paws. Wouldn't hind dew claws be a bit higher?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast