Frustrated...what more can I do??!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Frustrated...what more can I do??!

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultFrustrated...what more can I do??!

I don't know how other dogs manage to have intact stuffed toys and other kinds of toys and tennis balls. Buck destroys EVERYTHING. Went to walmart and bought him a 3 pack of tennis balls. He shoved one in his mouth and put a hole in it. Then he proceeded to defuzz it. I had to take that away. This took 10 mins. I am donating the other two to my training class.

Gave him a 88 cent smallish stuffed gator. It last all of 9 hours and I noticed he had ripped a hole in it and I had to take it away before he started destuffing it and eating it! That had to be trashed.

Then he just threw up. Who knows why. He probably ate something he shouldn't. I am worried. All that came out in his vomit were whole chunks of cantaloupes...about 3 of them and 3 pieces of hotdog. Dammit the dog's got to learn how to CHEW! HE CHEWS EVERYTHING ELSE! WHY NOT CHEW HIS FOOD!?!

THis is soo annoying. Will he ever stop doing this? He ticked me off so bad I had to crate him. I can't leave him alone for 2 mins. I always come back to some thing unpleasant.

How do you guys tire out your labbies? I can't seem to do enough to stop him from being restless.
    Each evening we walk for 40-45 mins. We play fetch for 40 mins. I do training stuff for an hour and he still seems restless. All he wants to do is EAT or sit on my lap and chew on a bone and make a mess all over me. I can't do anything. I can't even sit at a desk and do work. He won't sit at my feet and chew on his bone. If I sit at a desk he starts to pulling on things, take things he shouldn't basically causes trouble to get my attention.
    I hate having to crate him in the evening when he is stuck in a crate all day.

He just shuffles around like he is looking for something to do and is bored. But I can't give him any toys to play with because he destroys them within seconds and proceeds to eat them. He won't chew on a bone on his own he has to sit on top of you for that.

On weekends he is out of his crate all day. He gets two 40 min walks a day on weekends. Couple of sessions of fetch and training and he still seems restless. And basically follows us around all weekend. I take him places with me etc etc.

I just can't afford to send him to day care every day. Even on the days that he does go to day care he is ready to cause trouble.

AHH!! I asked a co-worker what he does with his dog. He has a golden. He doesn't even do half the things I do with Buck. His dog just hangs out and follows him around and lounges around with him. Why can't mine do the same?!?! kahdjasdkhakjh!!!

What is everyone else's schedule like?? Am I not stimulating him enough??? It seems so hard to keep him entertained. I do not understand what it is he wants from me sides FREAKIGN FOOD!

Oh I have to add...he goes to daycare about twice a week some weeks only once. He also goes to training class once a week. I can't take him swimming often because the closest lake to me is a 1 hour drive and it's just not feasible for me to keep making a trip like that every day.

Sorry for the long post. I am just so frustrated. I don't know what more to do for him. Also, have to add...he doesn't/hasn't destroyed anything of mine. He just seems restless and bored all the time. :
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_azlab is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Frustrated...what more can I do??!

He isn't a year yet but he will calm down between 1 and 2 years believe me I have been there.

Now Cinnamon destuffs every toy she owns they wouldn't even last 9 hours.* She then plays with the material pieces for months.* Try buying the larger tennis balls Cinnamon shreds the tiny one but the larger ones she does shred as fast we are currently throwing one that is half gone.* She has 2 others whole.

Try buying cuz Cinnamon takes the feet off but then plays with the rest and doesn't shred them because they are like rubber.* She also does well with the hard rubber balls that look like basketballs or soccer balls.* The tire biter tire also last though she does break off pieces if she reallys chews it.* I also have the 3 feet long thick roaps.
    Karon<br /><br />

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

He sounds like a normal young lab: active, bored, and hungry all the time. I'm home all day with mine and they still want my full attention. If Bucky spends a lot of time in a crate, I expect he would want to play and have a lot of attention. Labs are people oriented dogs and all the toys in the world won't take your place in his life. but an assortment of Kongs and a big marrow bone should not be destroyed. Last year, Judy stopped destuffing when she reached 4, but I always scolded her when she destuffed so I think she finally learned. He should settle down when he gets older.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paula is offline Senior Member

Lily calmed down a couple of months after she turned 2. I have never owned a dog that was more destructive, hard headed, and hyperactive as Lily. I really thought she was deaf her first 2 years. But finally realized she had selective hearing, she heard what she wanted to.
    It gets better believe me. If Lily was able to go from that to being left out of her crate all the time now any dog can.

glad to hear he is being normal Can't wait tilll he settles down a little bit. I do my best to make sure he's busy and what not but some times I wonder if I am indulging him too much (I don't think i am) Like you guys said...he's still young...patience I need patience oi. The cold weather is really making me cranky!!! :

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

Yup, he pretty much sounds like a typical adolescent Lab. Both my Labs (almost 4) destroy any toy they get. I've given up on anything stuffed. The only things they get are tennis balls (and yes, eventually they get destroyed too) or marrow bones. Those last forever, and they seem to not lose any interest in them, even after all these years.

Sounds like you're doing everything right. Don't be too hard on yourself. Worst case, if you need some time without worrying - put him in his crate. (assuming he's crate trained).

Hang in there!
    Brenda from Connecticut

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

luke and taylor's schedule from day is day is pretty boring. they get about 15 morning exercise, and 30-40 evening exercise, and on weekends, there may be special trips to the dog park, hiking, or swimming, but not every weekend. we do training about 3 times a week at home. nothing special, just to learn fun tricks.

luke nor taylor exhibit the restlessness you are describing. taylor can be a huge bundle of energy and excitement, but she can turn it on and off like a light switch. they are both pretty laid back. they sleep when they are bored. if taylor wants to play, she comes to me for attention or she initiates play with luke, but usually she is a slug. taylor is not yet 2 years old.

have you tried quiet message sessions? does buck like to be touched and petted? luke and taylor LOVE getting petted and rubbed down. they are good cuddlers, too.

instead of trying to burn his energy, maybe it could help if you worked on calming exercises?

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

oh he absolutely loves belly rubs. If he had his way he'd be getting belly rubs all day lol. He definitely gets a lot of those as well

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Give it time. It will get better.

Have you tried hand/racquet balls? Murray likes to defuzz and pop tennis balls but the racquet balls last forever. They have more chewy bounce I guess.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

hmmmm never thought of raquet balls! I will give that a try

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast