PM UPDATE: HELP: Freaking out over Scotty's rear leg limping
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PM UPDATE: HELP: Freaking out over Scotty's rear leg limping

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

DefaultPM UPDATE: HELP: Freaking out over Scotty's rear leg limping

Well, Scotty has been mostly on crate rest today, just going potty throughout the day. I have not given him any more Rimadyl. He is actually limping less. It looks just kind of funky the way his rear walks. In the morning, it was a full-blown limp. I'm hoping it's a good sign. Would cruciate injury get better like that within a day? Anyway, he's going to a vet tomorrow. And thanks for all the good wishes; they are working.

---

Scotty went and playing with his French Bulldog friend yesterday. He never played that hard (I think his front legs are finally and completely pain-free). In addition to just playing, the bulldog would try humping Scotty a lot. I would try to stop it as much as I could, but it was not enough. So, many times, Scotty had to get up from laying down or sitting down with a 25-pound "weight" hanging around his rear end. Well, last night, Scotty started limping in his rear legs. I can definitely see the right rear limping, but it also looks like left rear is limping too. He's still limping this morning (I think on both rear legs). I am freaking out now afraid that it's a cruciate injury.

I never heard a yelp or any sound of pain from him when he was playing. My husband keeps telling me that he's probably just sore. I hope he is. I think I'll take him to the vet tomorrow.

Any advice on what to do with him today? Should I put him on crate rest? Or can he roam the house? We're not doing any training today. Also, what are the symptoms of a cruciate injury? TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: HELP: Freaking out over Scotty's rear leg limping

Tatyana.....I am so sad to hear this.* Hopefully it is just being sore from playing so hard.

Looks like quite a few of us will be at the vets tomorrow :

Please keep us posted.

Sorry I am no further help...beyond good thoughts and prayers for you and Scotty.

Sheila

I know why youre freaking out after all youve been through with Scotty.

Here are some symptoms I pulled off the site I use
    :Symptoms
    Lameness in the hind leg is the most common sign of cranial cruciate ligament rupture. The animal may be unable to bear its weight or may limp. Lameness occurs immediately after the injury and may subside after several weeks but is likely to return.
    Other symptoms of CCL rupture include the following:

Crepitus (crackling noise of bones rubbing against each other)
    Decreased range of motion
    Hind leg extended when sitting (sit sign)
    Pain when stifle joint is touched
    Resistance to exercise
    Restricted mobility or extension
    Stiffness after exercise
    Swelling
    Thick, firm feel of joint
    Weight shifted to one side of body when standing
    Once the ligament is ruptured, movement of the misaligned joint causes further damage, inflammation, pain, and eventually degenerative joint disease. If the meniscus is torn, a pop or snap may be heard when the animal walks.

I would definitely keep him quiet today and check it out tomorrow. Try not to worry although I know that's impossible because I'm worried too! I hope it's like your husband thinks and just soreness from his playing yesterday.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I don't know about the injury symptoms but wanted to tell you after Cinnamon spends a day at doggie daycare if she hasn't been in a while she limps and there is nothing wrong with her legs.* She just gets stiff muscles. Hopefully that is all that is wrong with Scotty.*

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Prayers for Scotty. I hope it's nothing serious.

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Thanks everybody. And Susan, thanks for the symptoms. I think I heard cracking but it could have been his OCD in the elbows. I tried to do range of motion with Scotty, and he can felx and extend both stifle and hock joints within his normal range. He has a bit of a straight stifle which can make it easier for a cruciate injury, but his legs are so muscular and should have provided more protection. I guess we'll know tomorrow. At least, I have Rimadyl at home for his elbows. So, I've been given it to him (50mg last night and 50mg this moring).

On the bright side, his elbows are not bothering him at all. He was trotting just beautifully yesterday.

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

Sending good thoughts for Scotty. Hopefully it was just from a day of hard playing.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

That is what I keep coming back to in my mind as well...He is in top physical shape. His legs are so muscular, and while that doesn't mean he is immune to cruciate injuries, it certainly would afford him more protection, like you said. He isnt overweight either. So, let's hope for the best. And glad to hear his elbows are good!

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Sending good thoughts for Scotty. I hope it's nothing serious.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I can understand your worry ... I'd be worried too! Please keep us posted and let us know what you find out at the vet. In the meantime, prayers and good thoughts for Scotty!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast