Broken paw or something ??

Thread: Broken paw or something ??

DefaultBroken paw or something ??

Bear has been limping now since last Monday. I plan to take him back to the vet tomorrow. When a normal dog walks and only the pad is touching, his paw looks like it is bending more at the first joint. Like its bending back. The top pad (not on his foot, hubby is calling it his joint) is almost touching when he walks. I have rubbed and looked while he was laying down. He has been jumping when trying to get in the door and he doesnt yelp or cry in pain at all. Does anyone have any idea? How about a picture of a broken bone?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Broken paw or something ??

I would definitely take him back to the vet and get Xrays. When our Wheaten broke her back left leg, she also did not yelp or cry in pain, and allowed people to handle her leg. So that is not a good indication of whether or not there is a problem or not.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I would think if he had a broken bone in his paw he wouldn't be jumping about without showing any pain or discomfort. That said, dogs ARE pretty good at masking pain so I am not sure. I think taking him to the vet tomorrow is your best bet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

When Judy had a broken toe three years ago, she would run full speed on it, and any manipulation that I or the vet did would not get a pain reaction. The only time she limped was when she first got up from a resting position. The ortho vet knew exactly how to get the pain reaction. The broken toe stuck up higher than the others very slightly. From your description of the upper pad being too low, Bear's injury sounds different. If the vet doesn't help, take him to an ortho vet. I wouldn't let him run or jump on it.
    Get well soon, Bear.

I got some great suggestions threw email about maybe being his shoulder. I hope we can figure it out tomorrow. Another way to explain it is this...Normaly (well what I think anyway) his pad and leg are like the letter L. When he stands the leg bends back and his upper pad by the dew claw almost touches the ground. Rather then the 90 degree angle of the letter L, its almost like its a 110-120 degree angle like this \_ . Any other suggestions?

Paula is offline Senior Member

Can you get a picture of him. I am so bad at trying to picture something in my head.
    Hope it's nothing serious with him.