marrow Bones

Thread: marrow Bones

Defaultmarrow Bones

I was wondering if someone could tell me what kind of bones to ask the butcher for- for my 8 month old l. Finally feel safe enough to give him one, we had an obstruction incident when he was 4 months caused by a rawhide(I will never give him one again) that was very scary for me. He had to go to the vets for two days and we thought we might have to have surgery. But the vet got it flushed out somehow. So I was reading different posts about marrow bones from the butchers are these pretty safe for a 8 month old?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: marrow Bones

Marrow bones can even be found in the grocery store. They are labeled marrow bones here, although I think they might also be called "soup bones." Just make sure that you start out with a time limit -- allowing him to have it for 20 minutes or so to make sure that it doesn't cause stomach problems. I still only let Sami have one for 30 minutes. She always takes hers out into the yard. I set a timer and then go out and exchange it for a cookie. You can wash them off and re-freeze them.

I recently read that the marrow bones are so hard that they can break teeth, and that it's better to give knuckle bones (the marrow bone is actually the piece that the knuckle bone is attached to). I have never seen the knuckle bones at the grocery store ... but I have seen ones for sale in pet stores. Thoughts on knuckle bones vs. marrow bones, anyone?

I ask for knuckle bones and the guy in the meat dept. packages 3 up for me. I pay about 2$ a piece for them.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I think ThatsMyGirl covered it all.

My dogs get one marrow bone a week from our local butchers. The rest of the bones they get are fully edible as part of a raw meal.

Yes bones are safe for an 8 month old. My dogs have been getting them (not marrow bones though) since they were pups. When their adult teeth were all grown I started giving them marrow bones.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WeHeartLabs
    I ask for knuckle bones and the guy in the meat dept. packages 3 up for me.* I pay about 2$ a piece for them.
    Well I never thought to ask for them. Where's a little dunce cap smiley when ya need one?