Dog Park Etiquette (long)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Park Etiquette (long)

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultDog Park Etiquette (long)

Our dog park does not have running water.* Everyone must bring their own.* However, the park does provide probably 10 to 15 large stainless steel bowls strategically placed within the 1 1/2 acre park.* Sami has an obnoxious habit of digging in the water bowls. :* If I can get to her, I correct her.* Obviously with bowls all over the park I can't always do that.* She reserves this "water digging" behavior for the dog park, so there aren't other opportunities to correct her.

Today she was digging in the water bowl and this guy ran up to her screaming "Stop that ... stop that right now" ... and then continuing said "That makes me so angry.* I hate it when dogs do that".* So I said "Well, she is a dog!" (denying ownership at this point ;D).* I realize that the behavior is obnoxious, I really do.* But, there are worse things that happen at a dog park.* I've been jumped on by so many excited dogs I've lost count, and I've never lashed out at anyone about it.* Instead, I just learned not to wear nice clothes there!*

This behavior has upset people in the past, too.* I don't know if they are upset because the water gets dirty or what.* (I mean dirty water is yucky, but comparied to other things that Sami puts in her mouth, the water doesn't really seem so bad ;D)* And I'm really not sure how to correct the behavior as it only happens at the dog park, and as I said, she's not usually within my reach when it happens.* Any ideas?

Oh, and FWIW, I know some people don't like dog parks ... we actually hadn't gone in several months, but I have injured my ankle and have been put on "very restricted activity" by my doctor.* I'm just trying to make sure that Sami gets the exercise she's used to.

TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dog Park Etiquette (long)

This is such a typical Labby thing to do! Maybe Amy ([email protected]#$%)^duff or whatever) can post her video of her dog Frankie digging in his bowl. Theo loved to do this as a puppy and still does sometimes. It seems kind of silly for people to be upset about it. I'd just take ownership over it and bring tons of water, and then just refill any bowls that get emptied/dirtied by her digging.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by theoconbrio
    This is such a typical Labby thing to do! Maybe Amy ([email protected]#$%)^duff or whatever) can post her video of her dog Frankie digging in his bowl. Theo loved to do this as a puppy and still does sometimes. It seems kind of silly for people to be upset about it. I'd just take ownership over it and bring tons of water, and then just refill any bowls that get emptied/dirtied by her digging.
    I should have mentioned that I always bring several GALLONS of water as I know she's going to use more than her fair share! Thx!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Blondedog Guest

I don't know why some people get so freaked out about the little stuff. I don't think digging in the water bowls is a really big deal. I don't know about the dogs around you but here Bruce drinks out of puddles, creeks and rivers so I sure a little dirt isn't going to hurt anyone.

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

a dog at a dog park, acting like a dog!* shame!!*
    just kidding!* ;D

people getting upset over such a thing is ridiculous.* if the water they bring to the park is so precious, then they should stand guard over it.* :
    i like nathan's suggestion, but i guess if it were me, i wouldn't care.* maybe i'm a rude dog park person.
    strangely, my dogs do not drink water when we are out, but as soon as we get home, they make a bee line for their water bucket.

speaking of the dog park, we were there today, too.
    we met a pretty, pretty black female lab.* she was GORGEOUS! i think she was the most beautiful lab i have ever seen, and she was sooooo sweet!
    even the bullies of the dog park fell in love with her.* ;D
    she was less than a year old, and it was her first time at the dog park.
    when she entered the dog park, she walked past all the other dogs and came toward us (we were off to the side taking a break), and she visited for a while.*
    luke and taylor are beautiful in my eyes, but next to this girl, they didn't stand a chance of winning any titles in the looks department.
    she was so incredibly pretty and well behaved and friendly and sweet... i wanted to take her home with us.*
    what do you think?* not in line with good dog park etiquette?* i'm so bad!*

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Sami can do no wrong, in my opinion. Period..end of story. I mean look at that face? Who could get annoyed at a face like that? That guy needs to chill out...seriously.

I always laugh when I see the doggies dig in the bowls and water goes flying. It's funny to me. That guy must not have anything better to complain about.

Today at the dog park, this one dog was so funny. When he would walk by the water bowls, he made sure when he stepped each paw went in a bowl. It was funny. He kept doing this over and over. He would walk turn around and walk back. I couldn't stop laughing.

banshee is offline Senior Member

Doggie OCD! Our dog is so clutzy that she'll step backward into a water bowl, unaware on its presence, and knock it over. Thank God there is a water spigot several yards from the park.

Labradory is offline Senior Member

Cassie swims in the dog park water bowl too! It is funny to watch, but I do vigorously try to discourage it. The other dog owners have never given it a second thought, but I know that sooner or later, we are gonna meet up with someone who does.

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra CGC (Cassie) and Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved 7/31/2010

banshee is offline Senior Member

Little by little we are picking up on what other owners do. Someone left 2 plastic gallon jugs for people to fill when needed. We bring our own water too. We want to get a Chuck-it ball launcher to make it easier on us to pick up and throw the tennis balls lying around the park.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast