MY LAB WON'T QUIT BARKING.... HELP!!!

Thread: MY LAB WON'T QUIT BARKING.... HELP!!!

DefaultMY LAB WON'T QUIT BARKING.... HELP!!!

Somebody help. My lab won't quit barking. We have only had him for 2 weeks. We rescued him. The vet says he is full blooded. My other two, Sadie (collie), Toby (beagle) don't bark. He only barks when they are put in their room when we leave. I can here him once we close the door. I don't know what to do, I have never owned a lab before. Any suggestions are welcome..... please help!!!

Thanks,
    Mom of 3

P.S. How do I add picture on here, I'm new.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: MY LAB WON'T QUIT BARKING.... HELP!!!

Murphy has to have a bark control collar that emits a small electric shock when he barks but you can get collars that spray citronella which are much kinder and I would start with one of those - ebay them

No doubt a lot of Lab owners would not recommend either of the above but in Murphys case they were the only option that worked. Labs are intelligent enough to know that if they reduce the volume of their bark they don't get a shock and you can regulate the noise level that sets them off.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

First, thanks for rescuing a lab!

Second, this is the method that I would try w/ the barking ... but since this is a rescue, I'm wondering if you should wait. (? Don't know ?) Hopefully someone w/ rescue experience will chime in!

To curb barking, you can try the coin in the can method and see if that works. Take an empty aluminum soda can and put 10 or so coins in it. Tape up the top. When your lab barks at inappropriate times you could try shaking that. It will work best if he does not see you w/ the can, as you want him to associate barking with a bad noise, not you w/ the noise.

Lastly, I believe instructions for posting photos are here: https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/index.php/topic,5094.0.html

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

Thanks for rescuing a Lab.* My first thought after reading your post was separation anxiety, but without knowing more about him, hard to offer advice.* Please tell us all the details about him: his age, is he altered? where you got him from-(Animal Control, Shelter or Lab rescue), what is known about the dog's history, and as much detail about locking them in their room. Are all three locked in the same room?

As to your other post:
    http://www.kongcompany.com/worlds_best.html

HTH

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Sounds like separation anxiety. I would not use a bark collar. It may stop the barking but it won't help his anxiety.

www.inch.com/~dogs/separationanxiety.html

www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pets_separationanxiety

Taken from the first link;

Remedies for Separation Anxiety

Give your (fully inoculated) dog plenty of outdoor exercise and stimulation. BACKYARD EXERCISE IS NOT ENOUGH!* *Constructive outlets for your dog's natural energies, such as leash walks, puppy laydates, agility or obedience training, fetching a ball, romps in the park or local dog run (if your dog is friendly with other dogs) are all good ways to tire your dog out,which will help reduce your dog's stress, destructiveness and hyperactivity.
    Keep both farewells and return greetings very low-key, even to the extent that you ignore your dog for 10+ minutes before leaving and 3-5 minutes upon arrival.* Offer low-key greeting once your dog settles down.* This reduces the emotional roller-coaster many dogs experience when their owners come and go.* After all, if you kiss, hug and say sad goodbyes every time you leave your dog, then celebrate your reunion at the door each time you return, the void of being alone without you will make things that much harder for your dog to be without you.
    Don't reward barking, whining, jumping, pawing or hysterical behavior with any attention, affection or interaction (not even eye-contact). Reward calm, quiet, and non-dependent* behavior with low-key praise and attention.
    Temporarity reduce affection for 2-3 weeks, saving the majority of your affection for when your dog complies with a command.
    If you spend all day petting, pampering, fanning, and peeling grapes for your dog, then your dog will have a lot to adjust to every time you leave him.
    If things don't begin to improve relatively soon, please contact qualified animal behaviorist.
    Homeopathic remedies may be helpful (as recommended by your vet or behaviorist).
    In severe cases of separation anxiety, in conjunction with behavior modification, psychotropic medication (such as Clomicalm) may be recommended by your vet or behaviorist.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Great post Trickster!!

I just also wanted to say thanks for rescuing You've only had him a short while. He's definitely still in an adjustment period. We rescued Simon at about 7 months, and he came to us with several little issues. You will be very surprised what consistency, routine, discipline, affection, and just knowing that they now have a stable, loving home environment can do. Most of Simon's issues have just gradually vanished.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Trickster is offline Senior Member

[Great post Trickster!!
    I didn't write those tips. I pasted them from the first link I gave. No credit due here!*

Trickster's post was awesome, and had extremely good advice.

After resucing Larry, we were told that the adjustment period would be approximately 2 weeks to a month. In reality, we can look back and see that it took a good deal longer than this. That time was CRUCIAL for bonding, establishing dominance, and figuring out a routine.

Just like Trickster's article said: exercise exercise exercise. Cesar Millan suggests no less than an hour or hour and a half walk every day. While I know this is hard to do, it is very important to get at least an hour's worth of physical activity, regardless of cold, rain, and what-have-you.

I'd be interested to see what other people think about this, but another suggestion I have is to take your dog with you when you go to some places. If you have to run to the bank and can go through the drive through- take him. If you're picking up dry-cleaning, take him. The more you do together and the stronger he bonds to YOU and not your other dogs, the more he will trust and listen to you.

Congrats on your new pup! I can't wait to see pictures of all 3!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I didn't write those tips. I pasted them from the first link I gave. No credit due here!
    Yes, but it was still a great reference for the problem! ;D

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

We had a bit of seperation anxiety/barking with 2 of our rescued Labs. These 2 are brother and sister, and came from a kill shelter. They were about 4 months old when they were turned into the shelter. Of course we babied them, loved on them and made a BIG deal out of them, thinking we wanted to make up for their unfortunate beginnings...... but that 's the wrong thing to do as we found out...... after watching Cesar Milan , and reading his book, I tried one of his recommendations. We STOPPED telling them "good bye, see you tonight, be good " before we walked out the door. We actually ignored them...... didn't give them a thought..... and when we closed the door and walked out, they didn't bark !! Not at all !! We were so surprised when this worked ! And it's been over a year and they don't bark when we leave them now. Give it a try....... I think you might be surprised.

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/