Feeder Height

Thread: Feeder Height

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultFeeder Height

I am looking to get a feeder for Buck. However, I am not sure what height is appropriate for him. I found one that is 10" in height...is that too low?
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Feeder Height

Cinnamon has these that are 12". We have used them for over a year and like them a lot

http://www.dog.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=140149+001+ZEB&Cat=

Well before you buy it you should know their has been some research done that states that raising the dish can be a contributing factor in a dog getting bloat. www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm Another thing I read and didn't know is that after cancer bloat is the second leading killer of dogs.
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

We sit ours on the floor. I haven't done any research about raised vs floor bowls, but if you think about it, dogs evolved to eat things off the ground. Skippy started laying down to eat and I thought maybe he didn't want to hang his head down to eat, but then realized that he just didn't want to stand - he wants to lay down! So a raised bowl wouldn't have worked for him.

BuddyHsMom is offline Senior Member

Buddy has one that is 12 inches high. You can lift off the top and store food inside, but we don't do that. I do have to say, a lot of the time he'd rather lay down and eat with his bowl between his front legs! What a spoiled puppy! ;D

hmmmm My vet said I should raise his food and water bowls. I guess I will read up on this now!

His food and water bowls are on the floor right now. He doesn't lay down to eat his food or drink his water...just stands there and bends his neck over. Looks uncomfortable...but like patm said...in the wild and what not they do eat things off the ground...but then again...in the wild they don't sleep on nice comfy beds either lol.

THanks for the links guys

hmmmm My vet said I should raise his food and water bowls. I guess I will read up on this now!

His food and water bowls are on the floor right now. He doesn't lay down to eat his food or drink his water...just stands there and bends his neck over. Looks uncomfortable...but like patm said...in the wild and what not they do eat things off the ground...but then again...in the wild they don't sleep on nice comfy beds either lol.

THanks for the links guys