Question about frozen kongs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about frozen kongs

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion about frozen kongs

Ok..I made some frozen paws today so with them frozen I should have enough for awhile. I used some aluminum foil to wrap around the bottom up so the liquid wouldn't run out before freezing. Any other suggestions? The foil comes off easily when frozen and that;s the only way I could figure out how to keep the stuff in the kong.

I put some in each of his kongs and the rest in some small Glad containers. I figure I can take the Glad containers out and let them thaw into slush and then put in the Kong and maybe refreeze. Don't want him to have too easy a time of it..lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bibber is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question about frozen kongs

I plug up the small end of the kong with peanut butter, fill them, then carefully balance in the freezer with the large open end up.

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

I plug the end with peanut butter also, but it doesn't take Fanny too long to get to the biscuit, then ti becomes a family affair- I have to help get the biscuit out!!!!! And I ahte handling slimy food...............

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lubmylabs is offline Senior Member

I plug the end with peanut butter but then I stand it in a plastic cup so that if the peanut butter doesn't quite do the job, I don't end up with kong-slush all over the freezer. You can also put duct tape over the end.

I'm new to owning a lab. What are these kong slushes that are all the craze??? I must have a recipe!

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I plug both ends with a small amount of peanut butter and freeze standing straight up inside of a plastic container. Your post reminded me of how someone once posted a picture of the inside of their freezer and the entire door was lined with frozen kongs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Momof3
    I'm new to owning a lab. What are these kong slushes that are all the craze??? I must have a recipe!
    http://www.kongcompany.com/ There are recipes on the site and if you do a search on here you'll find some. My dogs love the banana and yogurt.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I "plug" the small end w/ about 5 pieces of kibble. Then I put in a mashed banana mixed w/ plain yogurt and applesauce. I close w/ canned dog food or peanutbutter and usually put a couple of pieces of kibble on top for good measure. I have a big tub (6 kongs) and I just freeze them in that, large hole up.

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

My ritual goes like this: First a few pieces of kibble, then maybe a bite of chicken or hot dog, something real, then fill with frozen green beans, wedge a small biscuit in the top to make it hard to get to and top it off with yogurt and freeze. Sometimes I'll smear cheese inside on the walls of it or peanut butter. I mix it up so they don't get the same thing over and over. Boy they can't wait for me to go to work so they get their frozen kongs. Sometimes I put banana, or apple bits in it, carrot, I have even put a slice of peach in. Anything with peanut butter is a hit, but I don't do that every day. Like I said, I mix it up. My DH said it is like when I packed my daughter's lunch. I packed something cool every day. She didn't like the school lunches even tho they were ok, she said she liked my packed lunches. She liked the surprise every day.

Labz4Me is offline Senior Member

I plug up the small hole with peanut butter, thinly smear the walls of the kong with peanut butter, then add some frozen carrots or green beans, or a little low fat cream cheese or cottage cheese, crushed biscuits, etc, and close the top with a little more peanut butter.

Abby has a real sensitive stomach and doesn't do well with fruit, so I can't do bananas, applesauce, etc.

This looks like alot of peanut butter, but it's not. Just a dab on the top.

Pat from S.E. Pa
    Abby - CGC
    Jack - OCP (official couch potato)

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Labz4Me...that was the picture I was thinking of! ;D

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast