I need help introducing two dogs

Thread: I need help introducing two dogs

DefaultI need help introducing two dogs

I have a very interesting situation, and I need some help. My husband is in the army and has spent the last year in Iraq, while he was gone I moved home to live with family with my lab mix Chester. I moved back to colorado a few weeks ago and wasn't sure where I was going to be living so I left Chester to stay with my brother until we had a home. When I got back to Colorado some friends told me that they can't keep their chocolate lab, Bowdee, and they were going to give her up to animal control, so I took her in. Next week I am going to Wa to get chester. He and Bowdee knew each other before we moved, but I want to make sure Chester knows that he is the #1 dog in our family, but bowdee is going to feel like this is her house. Does anyone have any advice on how to intergrate them? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I need help introducing two dogs

Are both dogs normally ok with other dogs? no aggression issues? if not, their meeting should be fine. Introduce them on neutral ground. The more established dog (your dog) will probably dominate the new arrival and they should sort out "ranks" between themselves.

Thanks, they are both really good with other dogs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Thanks, they are both really good with other dogs.
    In that case it should be fine. I wouldn't even worry.*

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Then I wouldn't stress it. Have them meet in the front yard or accross the street and it should be fine. We have even had friends bring their dogs, that ours had not met yet, right into the house and into the back yard to play and no issues.

Where in CO are you? We are in the Springs!

Golfgirlrobin is offline Senior Member

You say that Chester is the #1 dog in the house. Maybe to you, which is kind of sad for Bowdee, but they are going to decide for themselves who is #1 among the dogs. The worst thing you can do if you want peace in the household is to try to make one the dominant dog. Let them choose and go with it.

One of the hardest things for me is to watch Darby take a bone/toy from Bunker and just watch Bunker let her. Bunker looks at me like aren't you going to do something? And as much as I would like to, I don't.

I'm composed of 85% kick-ass and 15% crippling self-doubt.

You will be amazed how well they work things out on their own. That was awfully nice of you to take in the Choc. Good luck on your move!

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

I had a friend hold the leash of the new dog, and introduced the other dog on the front sidewalk. Then we all walked to the dog park walked around and then the new dog came inside with my friend and that was that. Friend left, dog didn't

CYNLABS, We are also in the springs, at ft. carson. When I said that Chester is the #1 dog I didn't mean that I don't love them both, because I do, I just meant he was the first dog, and actually the first dog my husband has ever had. But we love them both very much, if I didn't I would never had taken Bowdee. Thanks everyone for all of the advise, it has really given me peace of mind about intoducing them as family, not just a dog that will come over and play then leave.
    Kier