People just don't get it..breeders

Thread: People just don't get it..breeders

deneen is offline Senior Member

DefaultPeople just don't get it..breeders

There is a post on the petfinder forum about a young yellow female lab needing to be rehomed. I asked if she got her from a breeder if so, to call the breeder any rep. breeder would want her back.....somebody responded:

Responsible breeder WOULD require return of the pet, but they also would not have placed one that was intact

Huh? I think we have some awesome examples for great breeders on this board and I don't know one of them that pediatic spay/neuters.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: People just don't get it..breeders

It is common for almost all reputable breeders to sell their dogs on limited registration only, which does not confer breeding rights to the puppy owner. Most breeders require that their puppy buyers spay/neuter their dogs, but this obviously can't be enforced except by spaying and neutering 8 week old puppies before they go home, something that often has health consequences for the dog down the road. The limited registration is an attempt to keep people from breeding, short of spaying or neutering before the dog goes home. Once the dog is spayed or neutered, then most breeders will then sign the dog over to the owner with a full registration.

To buy a dog on full registration from a reputable breeder, you usually have to be known to the breeder and also be pretty heavily involved in dogs, showing, competing, etc. I would consider it a huge red flag for a breeder to be willing to sell a puppy on full registration to just anybody.

I see so they go home unaltered but are only given full registration after altering. Maybe that's what she meant.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

which thread is it? nevermind...I found it.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

labby is offline Senior Member

Once the dog has been spayed/neutered there is no reason to give full registration. Full registration allows the dog to be shown in conformation and bred. With limited registration you can do everything else but that.

Laura

She posted again that's not what she was referring to. She's one of the ANTI ANTI breeding rescue folks, makes me wonder where she thinks breeds came from. Good response Dani.

Thanks labby makes sense.

imported_Melissa is offline Senior Member

So this person really thinks puppies should be altered at seven or eight WEEKS old?! Well, that just seems stupid to me.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Wow...just...wow...

Charlie (foster) and Rocky

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

When you do rescue day in and day out, I can see how you can become so angry about overpopulation that you could develop a general dislike of breeders. But sounds like this person has gone further and is a True Believer. When you become a True Believer with a hero complex, then everything needs to be black and white, us and them, good and evil. Rational argument doesn't work. Most rescue folks are not like this, but I've met enough who are, and it's very frustrating. There was a list for dogs in Pittsburgh that I was on, and it had a few True Believers on it. A couple really didn't like it when I pointed out that if we didn't have responsible breeders, then all breeding would be left up to BYBs, puppy mills, and random chance.