What are the signs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the signs

1scottie2labbies is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat are the signs

Of an obstruction? Zoey has had loose watery stools since last night. She thinks she is part goat so I'm worried about an obstruction. I try to keep everything out of reach but she will climb on anything to get what she thinks is food. I had to start crating her again when I go to work.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

WeHeartLabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What are the signs

Symptoms
    Vomiting and a poor appetite are generally the initial signs although some dogs will have diarrhea. The dog will usually have a tense abdomen with few or no bowel movements.

A partial blockage in the intestines will produce intermittent symptoms, of vomiting, diarrhea, and cramping. A complete blockage will produce severe and sudden abdominal pain, violent, possibly projectile vomiting. The vomited material may consist of fecal-like matter, if the blockage is located in the lower GI tract, along with distention of the abdomen.
    If the blockage interferes with the flow of blood to the bowel, intestinal strangulation will occur, and the bowel will start to rot within a few hours. Abdominal x-rays are needed to properly diagnose the cause of distress and locate the blockage.

Good luck..i hope its not an obstruction, but the only way to know for sure is with Xrays.
    <br /><br />

Trickster is offline Senior Member

When Murph had an obstruction he wouldn't eat or drink and he was very lethargic. He was also very shaky and had cramps (he stood for a prolonged amount of time in the play/bow position...a sign of stomach cramps).

If Zoey is passing stools (watery or not) that is a good sign. Murph didn't pass stools at all.

Hope she is okay.*

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

When Murph had an obstruction he wouldn't eat or drink and he was very lethargic. He was also very shaky and had cramps (he stood for a prolonged amount of time in the play/bow position...a sign of stomach cramps).
    There's a recent "panic" post in H&E, the dog was exactly like this. Had a pair of underwear in his intestines.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Oh no. Zoey has been known to eat anyhting made by Victoria Secrets. I have a dirty clothes drawer in my dresser because no clothes hamper can stop her. Not sure what to do she is showing no signs of lethergy and eats like its her lat meal ever. However it being Friday I'm not sure what to do.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

So her only symptom is watery stools? If so, then I would just watch her very closely and feed her a bland diet for the next day or two. If anything changes (lethargy, won't eat, shaking) then take her to an emergency vet.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

This dog is so food driven and sneaky food thief like we never feed her. I think I would have to call the Pope the day she decides she does not want her food. I will keep a close eye on her.

bibber is offline Senior Member

Sam's had four obstructions, three surgeries. He had normal bowel movements, but he was vomiting. Early in the day, he acted like he felt totally fine but would throw up. By the end of the day, he was vomiting even if he tried to drink a little water and it was obvious that he didn't feel good at all and we took him to emergency. This was just with the first obstruction that we waited a little while to take him to the vet because we weren't sure what was going on, the subsequent episodes he went to the vet as soon as he threw up (we also don't let him around big rocks, which is what he was eating).

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

She is acting fine wants to paly and run. And right now its just loose stools very loose. I'm just worried because she is always into something. Her worst crime and landed her into being crated again. She took a steak knife out of the sink(this dog is talented) and ran throught the house with it. Dakota is lucky he did not get stabbed. So not sure what to do with her the vet said just to watch her. So far no bad signs besides the loose stool.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I can't say for sure because I am not a vet, but if she is acting normally and only has loose stools stools I can't imagine she has a blockage. She would be showing some other symptoms if she did.

Sam's had four obstructions, three surgeries.
    Three surgeries?? I hope Sam was insured!*

She took a steak knife out of the sink(this dog is talented) and ran throught the house with it. Dakota is lucky he did not get stabbed.
    I know it's not funny but I can so picture this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast