Strip Malls (update w/a question at the bottom of post)

Thread: Strip Malls (update w/a question at the bottom of post)

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultStrip Malls (update w/a question at the bottom of post)

Do you guys take your dogs to strip malls just to get them used to human traffic?

I've been doing this lately w/Zoe and she's been very good.* I even put her in a down right at the entrance of a busy market. . .* (of course we do it when she's already had her exercise for the day)

I do put a service vest on her (w/o any words on it) because it seems to calm her and make her "think" she's doing a job.*

Anyways, just wondering if you do this.* We're going for about 1/2 hour.* see ya guys later.* *

Well, we're back. Strange thing happened. We normally do not go into the stores; however, there was a dessert shop where the owner welcomed us in because I took an interest in a dessert in the window.

Normally, Zoe would be eager to go into any new environment to investigate; however, this store had black tiles and the minute she stepped in, she didn't want to go any further. ???

She did follow me in, but once in, I could tell she wasn't comfortable w/the black tile. I recall a Cesar show where a dog had to walk on black tile and also felt uncomfortable. Any thoughts?

Glad she didn't pee on the floor.
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Strip Malls (update w/a question at the bottom of post)

As you said, the new environment probably made her uncomfortable. My dog Trick doesn't really like going into stores...it makes him nervous. My Labs of course couldn't care less.

I recall a Cesar show where a dog had to walk on black tile and also felt uncomfortable.
    I saw that episode. Not sure I liked his way of handling that Dane (not that I like his handling full stop!)

With the floor, I would say the same as the above...she felt uncomfortable in a new environment on a type of flooring she has never been exposed to. I wouldn't worry. I bet if you asked the woman on the counter to give her a treat next time her anxiety would diminish.

I've never really tried the strip mall thing but the pet store we normally go to is in a strip mall and I take her in there with me. She loves going in there so is really excited when we pull up. I normally take a few minutes walking around outside to get her calmed down before we actually go in.

As far as the not wanting to go into the store thing. Mocha does this all the time. I guess I just didn't get her out enough as a puppy because she is the biggest scardy cat. She wouldn't even get in my fience's car last week so he could take her to the vet he had to walk her there (less than a mile but on a busy road) She did it with my uncles shelter house about a month ago I took her there to swim and then was going to go inside to visit and she would not go in the door. Absolutely refused!! I tried to just calmly walk in and not make anything of it but she threw a fit. When I did get her in there she was almost panicy so we went back out. I don't know why but that's just how she is.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I take Nellie to several strip malls. She's been into the banks and several clothing stores and does pretty well. Course I keep some treats in my pocket just in case. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by zoesmom
    She did follow me in, but once in, I could tell she wasn't comfortable w/the black tile.*
    I am not sure about the show with Cesar but I know when I took my mare into the local univeristy vet hospital before she would walk into the stalls (that had black mats down) we had to throw in some shavings. It was explained to me that the horses had some depth perception problems and she felt like she was walking into a hole. Maybe it was something similar with Zoe? Maybe she balked at the door due to a depth perception problem since the floor was black.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by izzy
    Quote Originally Posted by zoesmom
    She did follow me in, but once in, I could tell she wasn't comfortable w/the black tile.*
    I am not sure about the show with Cesar but I know when I took my mare into the local univeristy vet hospital before she would walk into the stalls (that had black mats down) we had to throw in some shavings.* It was explained to me that the horses had some depth perception problems and she felt like she was walking into a hole.* Maybe it was something similar with Zoe?* Maybe she balked at the door due to a depth perception problem since the floor was black.
    You know, that was exactly what SU said....walking into a hole. Zoe has no problems going into the pet store...any pet store. Bet she can smell the food! (but I'm sure she could smell the desserts too)

She also had no problem when I brought her to my office, and we have tile, but not black. I'm wondering if it's the "hole" thing.
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

Just out of interest........are dogs/pets allowed in all shopping malls and shops in America? Over here in Australia it's just not allowed (legally, I think) especially where food is involved. Of course guide dogs are the exception.

Won't someone please feed me!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

It was explained to me that the horses had some depth perception problems and she felt like she was walking into a hole.
    That's just what I was thinking, too. Like a big black abyss. She couldn't see floor, just space. I bet that would feel very creepy!

It was nice of the store owner to invite you in, though.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever