Question about dogs and snow
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about dogs and snow

maus is offline Member

DefaultQuestion about dogs and snow

I just moved from Los Angeles to Indianapolis a few months ago and have zero experience with dogs and snow.

My questions are:

Do labs need booties for snow?

and

Do they need a coat or sweater when temps drop down into the 20's?

or in other words what the best way to protect a spoiled rotten indoor dog when you have to take them out for their daily walks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question about dogs and snow

NO and No. Labradors were bred to work in the fridgid waters, helping fishermen retrieve their nets. Labs LOVE cold.

The main concern is salt on the roads/sidewalks (city/counties throw down salt to melt the snow/ice) If you are in an area where the dog will be exposed to a lot of salt boots might be the ticket... but most people go without the boots and just wipe the feet off when they come home from a walk.

Enjoy the snow, your dogs will !!!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Do labs need booties for snow?

No.* Occasionally they may be desirable on some surfaces -- say those that could cut pads -- but the main problems in snow or slush are ice balls forming between the pads and toes.*

My Puff and I go out every morning in Kansas winters where it's sometimes been -10°F with 4-6 inches of snow.* *What we found to be great is to use "Musher's Secret" a wax that waterproofs your dog's paws and prevents any ice build up.* You can Google it and find a variety of places that sell it for an even wider range of prices.

Do they need a coat or sweater when temps drop down into the 20's?

Absolutely not.*

They'd be laughing stocks of their 'hood.* *Just take out your Lab every day for a 30-60 minute walk in all kinds of weather and an appropriate coat will be grown.

Incidentally, my Puff has the thinnest coat of any Lab we've met and she's active enough with off leash retrieves so that she stays warm enough.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

No booties or coats needed around here.* My dogs absolutely love being outside in the cold and snow.* Sometimes I have to go out and drag them inside they are having so much fun.*

georgie is offline Senior Member

Molly loves the snow. Just watch if you get ice. She cut her pad on frozen snow/ice in out backyard. I bought her boots to wear while her pad healed but she didn't really like them.
    Good advice about rinsing their feet off after a walk if the get salt on them.
    Have fun, your lab will love the soft snow.

Emma has only been through one winter so far, but she loved it and wanted to stay out in it all of the time.

They don't need boots, but you should keep the hair that grows between their toes cut short. Ice builds up and snow, and tiny snowballs start to grow. So start now, keeping that trimmed short.

Youre going to have so much fun watching your dog in the snow! Labs love it! The best is making snowballs and throwing them. They go to retrieve it and it's blended in with the rest...nothing there!

Have your camera ready to go!

I have nothing new to add but my own personal experiences. Jes "comes alive" in the colder months. He absolutely loves snow and cold weather. I actually had to force him out of the water one day when it was 8º outside. I think they're better suited for mild to colder climates than the warmer climates.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

The best price on Musher's Secret is from Amazon (less than half the price as from some other sources) --

http://www.amazon.com/Mushers-Secret.../dp/B0002XIZXY

The best description is from JB --

http://www.jbpet.com/Shopping/produc...=HealthSkinPad
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Cinder absolutely loves the snow. I love when the tennis ball sinks and she runs with her nose under the snow to sniff it out. I have to make her come in to warm up and she lays on the register (we have the big old ones in the floor) to warm up her paws, then she's ringing the bell again. I agree with everyone else about washing the paws if they get salt on them, and if you are spreading salt on your stairs or walkways they sell pet friendly ice melter(?) instead. Have fun in the snow!

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

For paw protection I'd go with what Bob Pr said or simply make sure and clean your dog's paws after a walk.

As for the sweater...heck no! Your pup will be fine being in the cold for a walk.

You'll see he will love the snow! My puppy has seen only one big snowfall so far during which he just ran out and stuck his head straight into a pile of snow and sat there. He loved it! We'll see what he does this year....he will come across a lot more snowstorms this winter
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast