I am seriously thinking of having Tal neutered over Chrsitmas break. His birthday is July 17th so that would make him 5 months. My other alernative is spring break which would make him about 8 months. From a timing perspective I would rather have it done over Christmas break. From an age perspective spring break would be better. I wouldn't be able to take him to day care since they require spay/neutering at 7 months. What do you think?
I had Ruger neutered at nine months. If I were you I'd wait until spring.
I think it would better to wait until spring break (so his growth plates can get a little closer to closing). I had Sam and Bodie done at 12 and 11 months, respectively.
Brenda, Sam & Bodie
Have you seen this? http://www.littleriverlabs.com/neuter.htm The whole article is good, but the second half specifically addressses neuturing before 5 1/2 mo. of age.
I was thinking Spring Break as well but the one thing I am most concerned about is how controllable will he be if he is around a female in heat. The chances of that hapopening aren;t that great but you never say never. In another month, after he has had all his shots I will be taking him out more..mainly to the park. And to doggy day care once a week. I guess what I am really asking is when is sexual maturity so I can prepare myself to handle it until I have him neutered.
If you are responsible with him (and it sounds like you are very responsible) I think you will be okay until Spring.* Rogie wasn't neutered until he was 3 (his breeder, previous owner had thought about showing him and then breeding him, but he is too tall -- but that's why he wasn't neutered earlier).* Anyways, we took him places before he was neutered.* He would go to the beach and the park.* One time at the beach someone told us that their dog "might" still be in heat, so we steered clear of them.* IMO, anyone who bring a dog that is in heat into a place where there are other dogs running around isn't too bright, but that's just my two cents!* *
Discussed in detail here... reasoning... expectations... training behavior...
Given your choices...I'd go for spring break.
I think you will be able to handle him just fine till then. If I can do it anyone can!!
<3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3
I remember that thread and shoulda looked it up! I remember thinking at the time I should wait until mine is about a year old. My breeder recommended 12 - 14 mos. Of course the vet said 6 mos. I think I will wait until at least sprong break (March) or maybe even wait until July. The more I think about it the more I am now inclined to wait until he is about a year old.
I am the alpha and he seems to know and be comfortable with his place in the heiarchy here as well. He isn't aggressive...just a happy go lucky goofball lab!
I vote for Spring too.
I am not sure about the details of this female in heat you are talking about, if its your dog or just that he might have a run in, I don't think you need to really worry about it.
If Tal is trained well and he listens to you, being intact shouldn't be difficult to handle. I have an 5 y/o intact male and really have no issues like marking and aggression. Since we show, and plan to breed later on, we have an intact female in heat right now, and with just a little dilligence and supervision, we are still having no issues. There is definately interest, but between her pants and them rotating who is crated, everything is under control.