Please help me! I'm at my wits end!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help me! I'm at my wits end!

DefaultPlease help me! I'm at my wits end!

Well, I volunteered to foster for Golden Gate Lab Rescue here in the San Francisco Bay Area.* Monday night I got Trooper, a 17-month old neutered chocolate male whose owners moved to a place where they couldn't keep him.* He's a sweet lab, knows basic commands, walks pretty well with a prong collar, is somewhat shy but warms up after a few minutes, plays well with Cassie.* He's very high energy (as you'd expect at that age) and is an attention-hog (prolly a result of his changed circumstances).* What I have discovered is that I do not have the energy, stamina, or even the desire to care for two dogs at once.* Making it all the harder is that Cassie is suffering at the moment from colitis so she needs special food, which he wants to eat, and medication, and less stress, not more.* I thought I could do it, and I didn't know I didn't have what it takes until I actually tried it.

So my dilemma is that now I have this boy and he has nowhere else to go and I'm at my wits end.* I want to get him re-homed as soon as possible and I thought I'd explore every resource, including this board.

GG Lab Rescue is investigating kenneling him until he's adopted and the company I own is making a donation to them to help defray the expense of that.* But I thought I'd post here just in case anyone has any ideas or can help.

I live in Martinez, California, which is about 30 or so miles northeast of San Francisco.

Thanks so much!

EDITED TO ADD:* I have to hand it to you all who foster and rescue.* You have a really hard job and my hat is off to you for being so successful at it.* I feel bad that I didn't measure up but at least I know I tried.

EDITED AGAIN TO ADD PIX

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Please help me! I'm at my wits end!

don't feel bad!
    you've done more for this homeless lab than most people - you actually gave him a chance.
    sometimes, the timing and the circumstances just don't work out.
    i hope he finds another home soon and even being boarded for a period of time may not be so bad either.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Der

He's really cute. Sounds like he'd be a great companion for an active family. Try not to be too hard on yourself.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

My heart goes out to you. I can't say I know how you feel. I can only imagine if it is what I felt with Ernie you must be very sad.
    I didn't realise how much hard work Erns was going to be. I didn't have another dog or children and struggled.

Don't feel bad. At least you tried and have the courage to ask for help. To let your dog go to another home is not an easy desicion.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

I think the hardest part is the first 3-4 weeks. Is there any way you see the issues working themself out if you give it some more time? He sounds like he is SO happy wth you, could you maybe give it another 2 weeks? Until the end of the month and then re-evaluate? Just so that you know you truly did try everything possible to make it work.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Yes, it hasn't been very long...just a few days...maybe he will settle down? :-\

I do know it must be hard when Cassie is not feeling her best Could you feed them in separate rooms so he doesn't eat her food?

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

It's wonderful what you are doing and I agree...hats off to all you guys who rescue and foster pups or simply just have adopted multiple dogs.

However...it's only been a couple days for you guys. Maybe (as WeHeartLabs and AngusFangus said) you could give the guy a couple more weeks? It's always so hard and overwhelming, I can imagine, at first.
    I know I was a total wreck the first month after I got Buck. Everyday I'd be ready to give him back. But then slowly things settled down...

GOod luck with whatever you decide to do! It's so wonderful that you gave this cutie a chance* I hope you find him a great forever home eventually
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Wishing you patience and strength. Hope Cassie is up to her old self soon!I would say you are very brave to even try two at once.

Dani is offline Senior Member

I have to agree. I know it's frustrating...and it is...fosters need time to adjust and learn your house rules...not everything runs smoothly...my heart hurts for you, but as with having a second dog, it is work. Isn't there any way for you to hang on for a little bit longer?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

What a beautiful boy !! Don't be too hard on yourself. I think it WILL get easier with time when everyone settles into a routine - try too hold on a bit more and you will all be one happy family soon !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast