Tyler thinks I'm trying to drug him!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyler thinks I'm trying to drug him!

labmommy is offline Member

DefaultTyler thinks I'm trying to drug him!

Once upon a time, long, long ago, I attempted to give my yellow lab a motion sickness pill(dramamine) before a trip so he wouldn't get ill. I hid it in peanut butter because I've had dogs in the past who can find a pill in ANYTHING, even peanut butter, and spit it right back out! Now, he won't even take a bone, steak, nothing w/o doing a major investigation. The other dog will eat whatever, toilet paper, underwear and now gets ALL the treats by stealing from his hesitant, untrusting brother! Have I scarred him for life? *(I tried a pill and they ARE bitter, to be fair) Erin

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Tyler thinks I'm trying to drug him!

i had a senior lab foster who was on medication, and i had to come up with all kinds of creative ways of tricking her to take her meds.
    first, she was a methodical chewer. she chewed her food like a person would chew bubblegum, so if a pill were found in a morsal of food, she'd spit out the food and the med.* she would even spit out hotdogs, cheese, you name it...she would spit it out and walk away.
    second, if i forced anything down her throat, she somehow managed to make herself vomit 2 mintues later.

the best thing that worked for this particular anti-drug lab was to trick her into slurping food that had a hidden med within the mush.* for example, i'd wrap the med in a casing of soft cheese, then take her food bowl and put a mound of chunky cottage cheese, and hide the cheese coated med within the mush.* it had to be a mushy food that requires slurping.*

with any other dog, simply dropping the med in their kibble worked just fine, but with this one foster, since she chewed every bit of anything that was not of mush consistancy, she always found the med.

with mushy, slimy foods, she let her guard down.*

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I think Ernie must have had the same experience. He always gives his food a good check and sniff to make sure I am not poisioning him before he eats it. Except of course if it is on the counter.

I put stuff into his food.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

WeHeartLabs is offline Senior Member

That's the answer!!! Put it on the counter with something you dont want them to get at ! Brilliant!

lol @ scarred him for life.

Emma even eats her heartworm...she is easy. But our Wheaten, Molly s a bugger to give pills to. She also spits it out of peanut butter. What worked for us finally was putting the pill in butter and then shoving it in a small piece of hotdog. Then when her mouth or tongue hit on the hard part, she thought it was from the hotdog and not the pill
    <br /><br />

labmommy is offline Member

Thank you weheartlabs for a great idea! The butter is the hard part, right? He's pretty thorough-I have to follow him around after he "seemingly swallowed it", but then POOF, like magic I find a little white pill on the floor!
    Question-*How come he almost bit my hand off snatching a burger king croissanwich if he's so afraid I'm doping him?! How does he know I didn't smuggle something in the food he steals? Obviously, as I already know, the dogs are smarter than I! Oh, and LOL to the countersurfing...apparently the wet cat food which we put WAY BACK on the counter is not tainted, because he is cuckoo for cat food and slurps that down with no drug worries! LOL

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Buck hates his heartworm meds and also hated his Giardia pills. Couldn't hide them in anything. Cheese, hotdog, steak you name it.

But here's what worked....I just crush the pills and mix em in his meal. Sometimes I wet his kibbles and sometimes I don't. But when I give him crushed pills in the food I make sure and make the kibble extra soaked with water...He doesn't seem to notice it
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

I have a pill spitter as well. And yes, I confess - I use people gravy as a coverup. Works every time.

Mybabymambo Guest

Erin. I have the same issue with my cat. He wont eat wet food or treats from me anymore. He thinks I am always trying to pop him pills. SO now Jerome has to feed him.

imported_oakley is offline Senior Member

When I was having trouble giving Oakley her pills, I would fill a syringe (without the needle) with water. As soon as she saw the syringe she took off running. Sometimes my roomate would have to hold her, I put the pill as far back in her throat as possible and then squirt in some water, so she has to swallow. Unfortunately, I had to do it, she had to take the antibiotics and that was the only way I could get it in her.
    But now, I can just hide it in cheese. Sometimes I don't even have to do that, I can just give her the pill and she eats it.

imported_Dukesdad is offline Senior Member

Freckles will take and swallow anything I give him. Duke, on the other hand, does not take pills. I don't mess around trying to coax him, I just open his mouth and place the pill at the back of his throat, close his mouth and then he swallows. A treat always follows so he tolerates the pill routine.
    <br />Duke and Freckles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast