dewclaw Question

Thread: dewclaw Question

My Lil Lab Kaycie is offline Senior Member

Defaultdewclaw Question

Kaycie still has her dewclaws.* She's seven months, and not gonna be a "little hunter".* I was just wondering how many of your dogs have not had their dewclaws removed?* Is there any reason to get them removed?* I'm thinking as long as i keep them clipped, there shouldn't be any problems considering we have all hard wood flooring (which i absolutely* :P hate) What do you guys recommend??

Look at the quote below.....
    “….Dewclaws can be a real drag. These are the little thumb toenails that originate a little bit higher on the inside part of the leg. Often these nails are removed when the dog is a puppy. If they lack underlying bone structure and are loose, they can become caught in the carpet and tear. Because dewclaws do not touch the ground, they do not wear down. It is common for these nails to grow around in a circle and dig back into the dog’s skin. This causes a painful inflammation—if this happens to your dog, take it to your veterinarian.”

CIRCLE BACK AROUND!?!?! My goodness who would be so blind not to notice the claws doing that?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: dewclaw Question

Leave them there. Clip them weekly and more than likely you'll never have a problem with them. Some breeders take them off at 3 days, others don't. Once they are past 5 days old it is a major amputation to take them off. Leave them be.

Laura

SandieF Guest

I didn't even have the heart to declaw my cat Gizmo. I can't imagine having dewclaws removed once they are older than a few days.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

well....One, it broke my heart when my mom did that to my cats when i was a kid.* poor things walked around like zombies.* And Two, we're already going to have to pay for one surgery.* I should have saved my change for a "pet account" all my life.* My kids will defenitely have a College and Pet bank account. lol I think it would be cruel to have that done so late unless absolutely necessary.* Kind of like a man getting a circumcision at 30.* lol

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

At this point, leave them be. Like Labby said, unless they are taken off at 3 days, don't do it otherwise....

Interestingly, while so many say it's good to have them taken off because "they get caught on the brush when the dogs are out hunting" this is really doesn't routinely happen. Yes, Injuries happen. Whether it's a dew claw, a broken toe, getting poked with a stick etc. but it always sounds like if you leave the dew claw on, you'll definately get it ripped off...which isn't the case.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I personally don't see the point in removing them at all. CYNLABS is right. Dogs are probably a lot more likely to damage a more exposed extremity (ie; the tail) then a tiny dew claw when out hunting or even doing any kind of outdoor activity. Totally pointless surgery IMO. Besides, dogs DO use the dewclaws for things like gripping on to bones and toys.

Casey is offline Junior Member

I have had many Labradors and have never even entertained the idea of amputating the dew claws.

well thanks for the responses....you pretty much set the deal in stone.

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

Jes has his, and while he's not a regular hunting he does so occassionally. We are also regularly outside and in wooded areas and not once have I had any problems.

I have noticed that he used them to "grip" things (like marrow bones), so they appear to me to be more of a benefit than a detriment.

WeHeartLabs is offline Senior Member

Emma's were removed by her breeder, when she was a couple of days old.
    <br /><br />