Thinking of Getting a Puppy!!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of Getting a Puppy!!

DefaultThinking of Getting a Puppy!!

Hello everyone.

My Wife and I just got married in aug, and we have always grown up with dogs. Seeing that we both left families with dogs we are really missing them. My only concerns are we just built a brand new house, i don't mind a little destruction but don't want every base board or legs of ever chair torn up. Its been a long time since we were around puppies or had to raise them alone.

If we get a puppy my wife will be working part time from 2-6 and i work salesman hours, normally home by 4 unless I'm out of town. The main thing I'm asking, is there way w. one of us being around the pup when its out of the crate to limit the amount of destruction it can do to a new house. We don't mind cleaning up and aren't neat freaks just don't want to see a new house wrecked.

Thanks for your help and advice

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Thinking of Getting a Puppy!!

NEVER take you eyes off him...lol

I've found labs do most of their "dirty" work when they are bored, not excercised enough or alone too long.* Sounds like you both have pretty good schedules.* As long as your pup is crate trained properly you shouldn't have any trouble.

The training section has LOTS of good advice for new owners.*

Are you purchasing your puppy? If so PLEASE research and find a good breeder I can't stress the importance!!

There are MANY homeless labs that need homes, consider a rescue dog!
    Good luck!

Well our dog only chewed when we left him in the care of a dog sitter once I repeat once.We always watch him like a "human" baby , never unattended. Like you we have remodeled our home and everything is new including the furniture. We have only one baseboard chewed and no furniture to date. Our pup is 8 months old. We provide plenty of chewing toys that get used he loves to chew.
    We do believe in crating him when we can't suppervise or we are leaving the house. He doesn't mind his crate in fact he jump right in when I say "crate time" .Puppies are allot of work , but the are worth it I think.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks so much for the response.

The breeder is listed here:

http://www.campbelllabradors.com/

whatcha guys think? As for exercise, Wife and I are very active people so it shoulnt be too much for a problem.

Thanks again

~Sandi

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Your living/working situation sounds great.

It is also good you live an active lifestyle. When your future Lab is full grown he can handle almost as much exercise you throw at him but as a pup, limited exercise is VERY important. Many people follow the '5 minute rule' --5 minutes of exercise per month of age, designed to protect a pups delicate growing joints.

As for the breeder, their dogs look well cared for but what concerns me is the lack of show/working titles. None of the dogs are titled and none of them have exceptional pedigree's. The breeder claims they are "English" (show) dogs but to me, they look pet bred. In fact, I could go as far as saying they ARE pet bred. There is nothing wrong with a pet bred dog but my view is that you should support rescues (THOUSANDS of pet bred Labs looking for homes in rescues) rather then support someone who breeds for the sake of just producing puppies.

I'm not expert on breeders but seems like a lot of litters coming out of that kennel.

What type of interview process did the breeder put you through?

He basically wants us to come see the place and talk to us about the dog and how we will handle it.

Anyone have any good rec for breeders out there, we are looking to purcahse the puppy in about 2 months, would like ot have it before the end of Jan.

Thanks

Just a comment about the new house. DH and I had a house built 2 years ago and I also worried the puppy would "destroy" it. But, if you just keep an eye of him there's not a lot he can do. This is where crate training comes into play. Crate that puppy! LOL, as a kid I had a GSD that ate the sheetrock and baseboard in the kitchen and I was paranoid Jersey would do the same. But it really just comes down to not letting the pup have the opportunity to do anything too bad...so crate the puppy when you can't watch him, when you go out, and watch him/her like a hawk when you are home! :P

Oh and if you get hardwood floors, just accept the fact that they're not going to stay perfect when you have a labby!!

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sandi
    He basically wants us to come see the place and talk to us about the dog and how we will handle it.

Anyone have any good rec for breeders out there, we are looking to purcahse the puppy in about 2 months, would like ot have it before the end of Jan.

Thanks
    I think you should find a good breeder FIRST and then worry about the timing. I waited 9 (l-o-n-g) months for our puppy. But in the end, it was so worth the wait. I used that time to work out all of the details, do research, etc.

By the way, I gave a longer response in your other post on this same subject.

Best of luck!

A note on the breeder.

We are looking for a Lab, that we can give a loving home and treat it kind. We want a Lab that is active and can play for hours when older and is friendy. We will walk, run and play with the dog. And cuddling!!

we arent hunters now will show it. WIll that breeder give us that?

Edit: Btw i talked to the breeder almost everday and he is very open to questions and we are going to go visit his 5 acres on sat. He basically said for the interview process, he will ask what we want out of the dog, how we will care for it, and judge us as people. If he feels we arent ready for pup or cant take care of it, he refuses sale

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast