Can't figure this behavior

Thread: Can't figure this behavior

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultCan't figure this behavior

Sometimes when I reach down to pet Tal he backs away..not like runs but just kinda backs away. He has only recently started doing this and for the life of me I cannot figure out why. He is also does the same things when I try to put his leash on. Itís not outright defiance and I get the leash on him with little or no problem. But itís so inconsistent and has me baffled. Any thoughts? In both instances I am coming at him from the top but that doesn't bother him in any othe contest. In fact he seems to enjoy it most of the time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Can't figure this behavior

Some dogs can feel threatened by what you are describing. When you first go to pet him, pet him under his chin and on his chest. Then move onto his back and the top of his head. It won't take Tal long to realise that there is nothing to fear. You just have to get them used to it.*

Take a breather. Kimba does not like to be pet and backs up anytime we approach him to pet him. He is a very well taken care of and loved dog and so I do not think he feels unsafe or abused. Some dogs just aren't snuggle bugs..kimba could care less if anyone ever pet him again...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Sami backs away when she is feeling playful ... In my mind, it's like she's saying "I'd rather play than sit and have you pet me." Does Tal go into a playful stance at all when he backs up?

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Brigetta will do what ThatsMyGirl mentioned. When I'm about to put her collar on she will back away slightly...but I can tell it's in a teasing way like she wants me to play the chasing game with her. If I hold the collar open and tell her to come and then sit she lets me put it around her, no problem. So now I always make her sit first.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsMyGirl
    Sami backs away when she is feeling playful ... In my mind, it's like she's saying "I'd rather play than sit and have you pet me."* Does Tal go into a playful stance at all when he backs up?
    Sometimes and Tal will also do like Brigettas mom described. When he backs away I call his name and he comes. I'll try backing away from the petting. Usually this happens when he needs to go potty. He gives me the signal, I grab his leash and then he backs away sloghtly. I'll make an attempt to always try and pet him from underneath first.

Sounds like he feels threatened. When you reach for him have your palm up NOT down. Also try bending at the knees to make yourself appear smaller.