Sleeping outside the crate

Thread: Sleeping outside the crate

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultSleeping outside the crate

I knew Tal needed a nap and I was grading tests on the couch. I kept hoping he would just drift off there on the floor but he seemed to be forcing himself to stay awake to continue to chew his bully stick. I finally took it away from him and put him in his crate, where he drfited off in no time.

I would rather have had him sleep in the LR where I was but the crate seemed the only way he would nap. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mama3tikes is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Sleeping outside the crate

It will come with age! Koko still goes to her crate when she is really tired! Be happy that Tal loves the crate, it makes everything so much easier!
    Terri

Jersey was like that, just like a little kid who couldn't regulate himself! He'd just get overtired and extra bratty, but the second I put him in his crate for a nap he'd be out like a light! I agree with myfavoritedog, be happy he likes it in there!! Eventually he'll learn how to nap outside of the crate, in fact Jersey is at my feet right now!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks! It's just with school going on now I don't have huge blocks of time I can spend with him so I make the most of what I do have. We are on Fall Break wll week and so he isn't in his crate nearly as much as when classes are going on. He likes his crate ok...I just hate putting him in it! But ya he can't regulate himself yet. I had this vision today of him sleeping at my feet as I graded tests!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Nothing wrong with what you did. He'll eventually get the hang of just napping where he is. What would have happened if you just took the bully stick away? Maybe he would have konked out right there with nothing to chew on.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Oh sweetie. He's still a baby! And such a good baby boy. All your discipline and nurturing will have him at your feet, handing you red grading markers in no time.

Don't wish the teenage years ahead of their time... they will come whether you want them to or not.

heh heh heh

Seamus and Flynn

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    Nothing wrong with what you did.* He'll eventually get the hang of just napping where he is.* What would have happened if you just took the bully stick away?* Maybe he would have konked out right there with nothing to chew on.
    I tried that and he started looking for something else to chew. lol. Then he got his usual bitey self when he is tired and I knew then he needed to be put down for a nap.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddysmom
    Oh sweetie.* He's still a baby!* And such a good baby boy.* All your discipline and nurturing will have him at your feet, handing you red grading markers in no time.

Don't wish the teenage years ahead of their time... they will come whether you want them to or not.

heh heh heh
    True Dat! Well, just like with human kids, ya jus gotta love 'em and know it will pass and keep thinking how you are guiding them to be everything they can be!