So, how exactly did she bust out of her crate??!!!

Thread: So, how exactly did she bust out of her crate??!!!

kym
    kym is offline Senior Member

DefaultSo, how exactly did she bust out of her crate??!!!

I got home yesterday after work, like every Tuesday. Went upstairs to let Lola out of her crate, opened the door to the living room, and WHAT THE *&^%!!! I am greeted by a very happy, tail wagging Lola. Somehow, she got out of her crate! Now, partner says she closed the crate, and double checked it. So, how did this happen. She has never done this before. I have no idea how long she was out of her crate for, we were gone all day. I stood there, stunned, while Lola was so happy to have us home, she acted like nothing strange was going on at all.

On a good note, I am so very proud of her for not destroying the living room. She has never really given us a reason to believe she would, but she's still young and I don't completely trust her. She did chew through her tug rings, we only use them for tug, but she has been trying to chew them since we got them. I can't really blame her for that, they are her toys, so technically she just chewed her toy. There was a bag of candy well within reach that was left untouched, so that's good.

All in all, not a totally bad experience, but really, how did she get out of that crate??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labmom2b Guest

DefaultRe: So, how exactly did she bust out of her crate??!!!

Looks like you've got a little Houdini on your hands! Maybe you could set up a video camera to catch her in action.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Was the door still closed? If not, then maybe it was not latched properly. If it was closed, and it's one of the plastic crates, check for missing screws on the sides. Shadow was getting out of her crate because one screw was missing and she could push it up *just enough* to pry the door open and squeeeeeeze out through the opening.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kym
    kym is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Labmom2b
    Looks like you've got a little Houdini on your hands! Maybe you could set up a video camera to catch her in action.

I would have loved a camera to catch what she did !!

Quote Originally Posted by AmazonGold
    Was the door still closed? If not, then maybe it was not latched properly. If it was closed, and it's one of the plastic crates, check for missing screws on the sides. Shadow was getting out of her crate because one screw was missing and she could push it up *just enough* to pry the door open and squeeeeeeze out through the opening.

It's the metal folding kind, the door what wide open when I got home, I would guess it wasn't close properly but my partner swears she double checked it!

My Lil Lab Kaycie is offline Senior Member

ha ha tooo funny.* I had the same thing happen with me.* I swear I latched the crate well, but what happened, come home to Kaycie out of the kennel.* And tissue paper shredded EVERYWHERE. Should have known my day had gone by to well lol.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

When we were visiting my mother this summer I brought Brigetta's metal crate. One night when we came home she greeted me...outside of her crate. She has managed to pull the bottom bars in and the bottom lock slid open in the process. I still don't know how she managed to get out because when I looked at the crate the top latch was still locked and the door shut. There is very little room to squeeze through even if someone was holding the bottom part open.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence