Neutering question

Thread: Neutering question

GeorgieDewey is offline Member

DefaultNeutering question

George goes in to get neutered next Monday and I was just wondering.....have you found that after being neutered/spayed, your dog's personality/behavior has changed? For example, has he/she calmed down, stopped doing things he/she used to, started doing things he/she never did before, etc?

I'm just apprehensive because I love my little guy and I don't want him to be seriously affected by this... :-[

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

WeHeartLabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Neutering question

How old is George again?

I had 2 dogs neutered. Our female Wheaten slowed down a bit and stopped trying to run away 24-7. So, that was actually a good thing. Our male, mutt, acted no different after he was neutered than before.
    <br /><br />

GeorgieDewey is offline Member

He will be 10 months on November 1. He has been acting reallly crazy and sniffing around and running in circles when we go outside (I think he smells a female somewhere). He has also been humping pillows and whining because he wants to get into the bedroom to get the pillows. I just hope that this will help him to relax a little bit and not be so on edge and crazy all the time. I just don't want him to lose his happy little personality in the process.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Dryf was neutered at the age of 6. He was constantly running away and doing incredible feats to run away (like climb out of his six feet chain link PEN which involved pushing the roof off - and that just got in in the back yard, he then had to get through an 8ft fence.) We feared we'd one day find him injured or worse.

And...it worked! Now this doesn't really answer your question and the age difference is significant. But for Dryf, it eliminated the roaming (roaming to find a dog in heat one would assume). BUT that was the ONLY difference. He was still go go go when it came to playtime.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

bibber is offline Senior Member

Our older dog Sam was neutered at one year old and had absolutely no change in personality. Bodie was neutered a little earlier (around 11 months) because he was humping everything and it was driving me nuts. For Bodie, he stopped humping, but other than that nothing changed. Your little guy will be just fine!

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Apart from sexually related behavior's (ie. humping), no change whatsoever. As far as I am aware neutering does not calm them down. That comes with age and maturity.

MyOliver is offline Member

Ollie's personality didn't change at all post castration. He just stopped humping (his teddy bear was so releived )

Samson is offline Senior Member

Jasper had to be neutered to quell his aggression towards Samson

He is now a little sweety

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Buck was neutered around 7 months or so. There was no change in personality or energy level. He just doesn't hump his big stuffed toy as much. He still likes to roll up his bed in a ball and hump it but the frequency of it is much much lower!
    Like the others said. Neutering simply eliminates sexual behaviours like roaming and going nuts over the scent/sight of a female in heat.
    Your little guy will be just fine
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Ender was neutered last week at 9 months old... I haven't noticed any behavioral changes. I should note though he never really humped anything other than another dog here or there before.
    ~Lindsay