A Dog is a Man's Best Friend?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Dog is a Man's Best Friend?

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

DefaultA Dog is a Man's Best Friend?

the saying that a dog is a man's (or woman's) best friend...is this an outdated notion?
    do we seek friendship with our dogs?* should we be their friend?
    what kind of relationship do you have with your dog(s)?

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

WeHeartLabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: A Dog is a Man's Best Friend?

Maybe companionship is more appropriate than friendship. Emma is my faithful companion.
    <br /><br />

The H Mom is offline Senior Member

Such an interesting question! I think one's very bestest friend should be oneself. Nonetheless, I count Cassie as my next closest friend, humans included. She teaches me to unconditionally accept and love others, to live in the moment and enjoy each and every one of them, and to share myself. I believe I am and should be her friend, as well as her pack leader (thank you, Cesar Millan, for the terminology) and her provider. She looks upon me (at least I think she does) as all those things also. my life is so very much richer with her in it and I treasure her beyond words. I love you, my Cassie darling! :-*

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

I told mine they need psychological help since I can't get up to pee without a trail of them coming with me. They can't even eat a marrow bone in a room without me; if I leave ... here comes the trail of ants!!
    The Self Help Group will be meeting on Tuesday afternoons at 3PM!
    They are my best friends; and they know it!

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I've had dogs my entire life and have always treated them like my best friend. When they were upset I would comfort them, I would give them little bits of what I was eating, take them with me everywhere I went, etc. When I brought Brigetta home I knew she had a lot of issues and I really had to change the way I was used to behaving with dogs. I had to learn to respect that she was in fact a dog and that the only way for her to overcome her issues was for me to treat her like one. I absolutely consider her a best friend...I just had to change when I was giving her affection. It's been hard because when she goes into that frightened state I want nothing more than to comfort her right then and there.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

All my life I have had dogs. Yeah I think they are my best friends, but more than that, more than companions, they are my furbabies. I care for them as I would children. Rush, Boo & Twiggy, mommy loves you. :-* :-*

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

The more I think about your good question, the more difficult it becomes to answer. I don't think "friend" is the right word to describe my relationship with Theo. SU and I are best friends. It is a relationship of equals. We are there for each other by choice. There is nothing equal about my relationship with Theo. He depends on me for everything--food, shelter, attention, training. What he gives back is immensely complex and rewarding for me, but my responsibility to him is much greater than his to me. I (like so many people) could easily neglect and abuse him, and he would still love me. Hopefully, this is not how friends are with each other.

So in a way, the relationship we have is actually more precious and demanding of our care and responsibility than friendship, because one party is not capable of ending it when it is not rewarding.

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

Well, you have to think of what a friend truly means. If a friend gives you what you need, not what you "think" you want, maybe dogs are our best friends.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by theoconbrio
    The more I think about your good question, the more difficult it becomes to answer. I don't think "friend" is the right word to describe my relationship with Theo. SU and I are best friends. It is a relationship of equals. We are there for each other by choice. There is nothing equal about my relationship with Theo. He depends on me for everything--food, shelter, attention, training. What he gives back is immensely complex and rewarding for me, but my responsibility to him is much greater than his to me. I (like so many people) could easily neglect and abuse him, and he would still love me. Hopefully, this is not how friends are with each other.

So in a way, the relationship we have is actually more precious and demanding of our care and responsibility than friendship, because one party is not capable of ending it when it is not rewarding.
    Lighten the load of your mind, dude!! :P j/k

Actually, my dogs listen better than most of my friends and have remained loyal longer than most!

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

That is a tough question to answer. I think of Tal as my friend in the sense that we spend alot of time together and he is beginning to care for me, I think. But we are companions in that I am his leader and he is dependent on me for everything. I don't think companion or friend by itself can completely describe it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast