Chewing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chewing

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultChewing

Ok..Tal likes to chew..well he's a Lab and I know that comes with the deal. What gets me is that I give him a chew toy and his attention goes back to whatever it is that he isn't allowed to chew. Nylabones don't keep him occupied for any ,ength of time nor do his chew toys. I have tried various chews like a bone products and he likes them but devours them in a few minutes. I guess what I am asking is do you know of any bonelike chew that is not edible and will divert his attention for a good while from stuff he isn't supposed to chew?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GeorgieDewey is offline Member

DefaultRe: Chewing

I always go to Wal-Mart and buy the big packages of all-natural rawhides. George goes through them fairly quickly but he LOVES them, they keep him occupied, and they're fairly inexpensive. Get some of those if you haven't tried them yet...it can't hurt!! Or try buying him a kong if you don't have one...that should definitely keep him busy for a while. Good luck!!

imported_apollosmom is offline Senior Member

Rawhides were great when Apollo was teething, but wasn't really devouring a whole rawhide at a time. Now he will eat the whole thing quickly and throw up shortly thereafter. I think its been mentioned before rawhides can cause obstructions. They really did help during the teething stage-with supervision that might be the ticket. Have you tried ice cubes and frozen washclothes?
    Living the Dream<br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Does he like ice? Zoe loved crunching on ice. I also soaked chew toys in chicken broth for her.

I thought of rawhides but am leery since I read some of the posts on here. He likes ice but he doesn't stay with it long.

After I posted this, I found out thru a friend who I cared for their Golden while they were out of town there is a kind of health food for pets that she gets Molly's treats from. So I went and checked it out. They had some beef tendon chews so I got two. I got back home about an hour ago and he is still working on one and has hardly made any headway! These are 79% protein and this is great!

I also asked about bitter apple and he said that most folks say it doesn't work, which is consistent with what you guys have said..some it works for others it doesn't. They had a similar product called Bitter Lime that he said is a bit more potent. It was about the same price so I got the lime. Mainly concerned about his leash and the bottom part of the couch. He hasn;t had to go out yet so I'll let you know!

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

That's a hard one. When Brigetta was teething, nothing would really keep her attention for any length of time. As she has gotten older she will chew on her nylabones longer, but still not for more than 15 minutes or so. She has a ton of different flavors and shapes and loves them all. I have to switch things up for her- nylabone, stuffed kong, chilly bones, etc. The only thing that keeps her attention for any length of time is a marrow bone; but I only give those to her once a week. Do you think Tal would like interactive toys like a Busy Biddy or Hide A Toy? Brigetta loves her Busy Buddy Squirrel. I put her kibble in it and she has to roll it around to get it out (there are prongs in the bottom of it so the food slips out when turned a certain way). Good luck!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Quote Originally Posted by Brigettas Mom
    That's a hard one. When Brigetta was teething, nothing would really keep her attention for any length of time. As she has gotten older she will chew on her nylabones longer, but still not for more than 15 minutes or so. She has a ton of different flavors and shapes and loves them all. I have to switch things up for her- nylabone, stuffed kong, chilly bones, etc. The only thing that keeps her attention for any length of time is a marrow bone; but I only give those to her once a week. Do you think Tal would like interactive toys like a Busy Biddy or Hide A Toy? Brigetta loves her Busy Buddy Squirrel. I put her kibble in it and she has to roll it around to get it out (there are prongs in the bottom of it so the food slips out when turned a certain way). Good luck!
    Tal likes his Kong but he gets the food out in short order. I haven't frozen one yet since he doesn;t stay with the ice for like 15 minutes tops. Where can you get the busy biddy or hide a toy? Petco? I really haven't paid much attention to anything but kongs. I think he would like it 'cause he seems to like trying to figure things out.

I think for the chewing part he really likes this beef tendon thing...he is staying with it.

One of the things I was most worried about is giving him too many calroies. I had hoped the Nylabone would work but like Brigetta he will stay with it 15 minutes at best. Ok, so I have and ADHD dog..

Thanks and I'll check out the busy biddy or hide a toy Friday..it's payday and there's always a new toy to buy for him

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...rrel&N=2023689

http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.as...milyID=100569&

I've never heard of the beef tendon chews...I'm going to have to check them out.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Quote Originally Posted by Brigettas Mom
    http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...rrel&N=2023689

http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.as...milyID=100569&

I've never heard of the beef tendon chews...I'm going to have to check them out.
    Thanks for the links! I think he would really go for the squirrel one. I'll have to pick one of those up.

He is still working on the beef chew.In fact he is carrying it when he follows me. What a goober...I have never seen these at PetCo. Here's the link to the company that makes these:

http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/...ts_tendons.php

Sadies Mom is offline Senior Member

I was thinking what you were talking about were the bully sticks. I got a couple for Sadie and they did last her awhile. Only problem was she wouldn't chew them unless we held the darn thing, then after a few minutes she would chew it on her own. She would loose interest in this after about 10 minutes though, reason they lasted so long.

I am having trouble finding something for Sadie too, because she also has no interest in her Nylabone. She love the edible Nylabones, but the biggest ones only last her at most an hour. I am at a loss!!!
    <br />Dawn<br />mom to 3 kids, 1 angel, 3 anoles, 2 cats, &amp; 1 lab<br />

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast