So, a number of weeks ago we realized the mice in the neighbourhood decided to make a home in our garage (birdseed is very tempting when left out of a container!) To get the little buggers before they found their way into the house DH put some pellets down and we made sure Sunshine and Finnigan were always walked straight through to the outside if we went t through the garage. This weekend we starting getting our house ready to show and DH wan in and out of the garage - Finn followed him out and Mike just shooed him back ion and went on about his stuff. On his way back into the house he thought it was weird that in the past little while the mice had dragged the whole bag of pellets away. Then he remembered dear old Finn had joined him. Low and behold he found remnants of the bag on the floor in the house. The nice little fella shared it with his sister!
Within a half an hour they were at the vets who induced vomiting with peroxide - then a charcoal treatment. the both brought up their dinner - but sunshine had so much charcoal in it I thought the off white rug was doomed (and we had a showing planned for Sunday) Oxi Clean and a steam cleaner managed to get it out. Then i went outside and noticed a bit of bile with Blood in it - and I didn't know whose it was so at 9:00 we were in the emergency vets and finally at 1:45 they saw the guys - everything was fine and we were home shortly after 2am!
The next morning Sunshine threw up again but I think it was more her stomach was upset form no food. I gave them a small bit of food to see how it would stay down. sun was fine - Finn (who could drink a pool in about 10 seconds flat) gulped then brought it back up about an hour later. i gave a bit more again and let him have a small drink then took the water away. Finally it stayed down so by Saturday afternoon I was giving them a bit of food every 3 or four hours and a regular feeding that night. all is well but my Goodness what a scare....reminds me of Theo's advil encounter last week - that was all that kept running through my mind was he was okay so this will turn out!
[attachment deleted by admin]
Hudler ate rat poison as a pup. He got behind a desk at my brother in law's construction office. My hubby pulled him out, saw the green crystals all munched up in his teeth and drove him straight to the vet. He had vomitting induced, and was given Vitamin K to take for a week. Vitamin K helps to keep blood from thinning I believe, because what rat poison does is thin the blood.
He was fine, but we were told to keep an eye on his "soft parts" like ears and belly for bruising. If we saw that, it meant that there were complication from the poison....but he never got it....I think he was like 6 months at the time, and he's over 5 now.
What a scare - glad things turned out so good !
WOW I would have been out of my mind with worry!
Thank God they are OK! I would have been out of my mind with worry too.
"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"
Glad they are ok. Thank god you found out what happened early enough.
We had a mouse last week. Kevin set a trap. BEHIND a very heavy object. Mouse gone in less than 12 hours.
Connie and "The Boys":
Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD
Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever
We had a mouse or more in the house last fall about this time I beleive. Luckily they were coming in from the crawl space below the house so we put the poison there where there was no way the dogs could access it. Then just put traps in the places the mice had been seen where the dogs couldn't get to them.
Gosh , what a scare...Thankfully, with 2 cats, we don't have a problem. But, I think I would use traps if we did.