Labs can survive a rat poisoning!
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Labs can survive a rat poisoning!

  1. #1
    Finnigan is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Northern Ontario, Canada eh!
    Posts
    2,223

    DefaultLabs can survive a rat poisoning!

    So, a number of weeks ago we realized the mice in the neighbourhood decided to make a home in our garage (birdseed is very tempting when left out of a container!) To get the little buggers before they found their way into the house DH put some pellets down and we made sure Sunshine and Finnigan were always walked straight through to the outside if we went t through the garage. This weekend we starting getting our house ready to show and DH wan in and out of the garage - Finn followed him out and Mike just shooed him back ion and went on about his stuff. On his way back into the house he thought it was weird that in the past little while the mice had dragged the whole bag of pellets away. Then he remembered dear old Finn had joined him. Low and behold he found remnants of the bag on the floor in the house. The nice little fella shared it with his sister!

    Within a half an hour they were at the vets who induced vomiting with peroxide - then a charcoal treatment. the both brought up their dinner - but sunshine had so much charcoal in it I thought the off white rug was doomed (and we had a showing planned for Sunday) Oxi Clean and a steam cleaner managed to get it out. Then i went outside and noticed a bit of bile with Blood in it - and I didn't know whose it was so at 9:00 we were in the emergency vets and finally at 1:45 they saw the guys - everything was fine and we were home shortly after 2am!

    The next morning Sunshine threw up again but I think it was more her stomach was upset form no food. I gave them a small bit of food to see how it would stay down. sun was fine - Finn (who could drink a pool in about 10 seconds flat) gulped then brought it back up about an hour later. i gave a bit more again and let him have a small drink then took the water away. Finally it stayed down so by Saturday afternoon I was giving them a bit of food every 3 or four hours and a regular feeding that night. all is well but my Goodness what a scare....reminds me of Theo's advil encounter last week - that was all that kept running through my mind was he was okay so this will turn out!



    [attachment deleted by admin]

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Canyon Labradors's Avatar
    Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    3,575

    DefaultRe: Labs can survive a rat poisoning!

    Hudler ate rat poison as a pup. He got behind a desk at my brother in law's construction office. My hubby pulled him out, saw the green crystals all munched up in his teeth and drove him straight to the vet. He had vomitting induced, and was given Vitamin K to take for a week. Vitamin K helps to keep blood from thinning I believe, because what rat poison does is thin the blood.

    He was fine, but we were told to keep an eye on his "soft parts" like ears and belly for bruising. If we saw that, it meant that there were complication from the poison....but he never got it....I think he was like 6 months at the time, and he's over 5 now.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    108

    DefaultRe: Labs can survive a rat poisoning!

    What a scare - glad things turned out so good !

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Ender's Mom's Avatar
    Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    15,206

    DefaultRe: Labs can survive a rat poisoning!

    WOW I would have been out of my mind with worry!
    ~Lindsay

  7. #5
    jzgrlduff's Avatar
    jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    44,122

    DefaultRe: Labs can survive a rat poisoning!

    Thank God they are OK! I would have been out of my mind with worry too.




    ______________
    ~Amy
    Califon, NJ
    Hunterdon County
    "Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

  8. #6
    Mybabymambo Guest

    DefaultRe: Labs can survive a rat poisoning!

    Glad they are ok. Thank god you found out what happened early enough.

  9. #7
    AngusFangus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    12,586

    DefaultRe: Labs can survive a rat poisoning!

    We had a mouse last week. Kevin set a trap. BEHIND a very heavy object. Mouse gone in less than 12 hours.


    Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

    Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,230

    DefaultRe: Labs can survive a rat poisoning!

    We had a mouse or more in the house last fall about this time I beleive. Luckily they were coming in from the crawl space below the house so we put the poison there where there was no way the dogs could access it. Then just put traps in the places the mice had been seen where the dogs couldn't get to them.

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,503

    DefaultRe: Labs can survive a rat poisoning!

    Gosh , what a scare...Thankfully, with 2 cats, we don't have a problem. But, I think I would use traps if we did.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25