UPDATE: Nik's getting a mastectomy :(
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UPDATE: Nik's getting a mastectomy :(

DefaultUPDATE: Nik's getting a mastectomy :(

Just got a call from the vet. Nikita is out of surgery and recovering very well. She said it went well and Niki was not under for very long. She said she removed the entire mass and nipple and then sent it of to the lab. She mentioned that before they removed the mass some clear liquid came out Nik's nipple so that could be a sign that the mass is a cyst filled with liquid, which would be great ! Either way she said we had to wait for the results of the biopsy but she was very positive about the surgery and outcome.

I want to thank everyone for their insipiring stories, good thoughts and prayers ! I can't wait to see my girl and spoil her rotten. I have three frozen kongs waiting at home AND I bought her a new coscto bed for her to recover in !!!!!

Sylvia

************************************************** *****************************

I am so upset - I found a lump last week and we went to the vet on Friday. She booked the mastectomy right away for this Thursday. They will send the lump away to get a biopsy. I really hope it is benign. The vet said - it is small, she is young so chances are it is just a cyst but I am still a wreck.

Has anyone experience this before ? I am also wondering, what I can do to make Nik more comfortable after the operation. Vet said she will have a bring big scar and will most likely be very uncomfortable for a few days.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Nik's getting a mastectomy :(

Oh no..I hope that it's not cancerous. I have had male dogs,so have no knowledge of this. Just wanted to give you my support and let you know I will be praying she is gonna be alright.

No experience either but sending lots of good thoughts that things go well...I would imagine that the same kinds of things you do for any surgery would apply here. Stuffed kongs, that she can work on while staying in a her crate or calmed down. Put them in the freezer so they last longer and take her longer to get to the middle.

Good luck with this. I'm sure your vet's right..she is young and in good health, that is so important.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tuckersmom is offline Senior Member

Ohmygoodness ... No advice but please know my thoughts are with you. *hugs to you and Nik*

good thoughts and prayers coming your way-i hope all turns out well

Finnigan is offline Senior Member

Sorry to hear about this - no experience but hugs to you both !

Kathryn Guest

My thoughts and prayers will be with you all!

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

No experience, unfortunately; just good thoughts that she comes through just fine!

Best of luck to her!!! Hugs and Kisses!

labby is offline Senior Member

Murph had a nipple and a large part of a breast removed. It was a mast cell tumor and she lived another 6 years afterwards. Like anything else, catch it early and be aggressive in the removal.

Good luck.

Laura

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast