I think it's time (Frankie and his McFlappers)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I think it's time (Frankie and his McFlappers)

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultI think it's time (Frankie and his McFlappers)

I think the time has come to have him neutered.* He's 18 months.* I've been struggling with this decision because his breeder still wants me to show him and possibly breed him (only if he was titled and had all clearances of course!!!!!!).* Not to mention the fact that I'm nervous about having him put under, after the scary stories I've heard.

A couple of questions.* Since he'll have to stay calm after the surgery, I'm thinking it would be best to schedule it on a Monday so he would be in his crate the rest of the week during the day.* Or do you think it would be better if we did it on a Friday so we would be with him during the days after surgery?

Frankie also has a bit of a breathing problem.* OK, it's not a problem really, but he's a snorer.* Big time.* Whenever he's at rest he'll snore, or snort.* Is this dangerous when he's under?* I should mention it to the vet, right?*

I had another question but I can't think of it at the moment.
    Thanks guys!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I think it's time (Frankie and his McFlappers)

Yeah I'd mention the fact that he snores. Not sure that it has any bearing on the surgery. In my opinion, I'd have it done on Friday so I could be home with him. It is an easy surgery compared having a female spayed. Just like in humans, snip snip on the man and for women it's a major pain. Anyway, he'll bounce back quickly and be back to his ole self in no time.

Amy,
    We had our first dog Ralph neutered when he was 4 years old. Nelson and his son wouldn't think of doing it when they lived alone with him. Well, after he tore up the bathroom and then jumped off the outbuilding roof trying to get after "her", it was off they come or out he goes! He glared at me the night he came home after the "procedure" and the next day, was running around.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I think I would have it done on Friday where I could watch him and be sure he left the stitches alone, and to be able to give him pain meds if he seemed to need them.
    Sam had his done on Friday. Felt LOUSY when I picked him up and we had a long night Friday because he wouldn't settle down, couldn't seem to get comfortable and kept trying to lick the area. Sat he was much better, and sunday pretty much back to normal.
    I believe the stitches came out in 10 days. I've heard some other people say they didn't have stitches, but some sort of glue, and some others said their stitches were internal where the dog couldn't get to them.
    I'd be sure I had the pain meds, and a collar if you are going to use one.
    I know it's scary, but I think now is a good time to do it, if that is what you've decided to do!

Frances

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

LOL Irene, I remember that story. ;D

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sam I Am
    I think I would have it done on Friday where I could watch him and be sure he left the stitches alone, and to be able to give him pain meds if he seemed to need them.
    I agree. I had to take off Thursday/Friday last week because I was afraid he'd get at them. Should have though about that ahead of time.
    ~Lindsay

I don't think snoring would be an issue as they will place a respirator tube into his throat during the procedure. That said I'd probably mention it anyway.
    Your biggest decision is really whether or not to breed him and that is up to you and the breeder. If not then definitely proceed to neutering.

I try and do surgery early in the week in case my girls have to go back to the vet, then we are not having to go across town to the after hours vet and pay alot more for piece of mind. I am sure your boy will be fine with the procedure

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Run free, nuts!

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

I'd be inclined to schedule The Big Snip when I could spend a couple of days with him. You're going to be surprised at how quickly he bounces back from the surgery.

Seamus and Flynn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast