day training

Thread: day training

Defaultday training

Has anyone had any experiences with this?

My local kennel/dog club has a program where you drop your dog off in the am, pick her up in the pm, and the trainer will work with it multiple times during the day. Then, as part of the week package, there are three private lessons with the owner.

I'm thinking about doing this with Gabby. I'm normally home with her all day, and then I go to class in the evening- when my boyfriend comes home and hangs out with her. But at the end of next week, we both have major memos/ research papers due and so will not be able to spend anywhere near the same amount of time with her next week.

Oh- so you don't think I'm just relying on the trainer to do all the work for me- Gabby and I just finished puppy kindergarten and our beginner obedience class starts in two weeks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: day training

I think is an awesome idea!
    Do you know of the trainer and approve of their style? techniques? If so, I think it's a fantastic idea! And would certainly capitalize on a chance to 1- give my dog some extra training by someone I approved of, 2- wear my dog out a bit when i know im going to be busy 3- give her some stimulation on a day where otherwise she'd be bored! Go for it!

I don't really know much about the trainer- but he spent a half hour on the phone with me this morning answering questions about his methods and finding out what I thought was important for her to know. So what I heard was good

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Hmm...I don't really see the point if you are around and able to do the training yourself. The idea of training classes is to teach YOU how to handle your dog. You can't achieve that if the trainer is doing the work for you. My advice? don't waste your money and continue with your beginners obedience class together.*

I guess the point (for me) is that she will be doing something stimulating and get some exercise instead of spending 12 hours a day in her crate next week. She's too young for doggie daycare, or we'd be doing that next week.

Has anyone else done this? I'd love to hear if they have, and what experiences they've had with it.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I guess the point (for me) is that she will be doing something stimulating and get some exercise instead of spending 12 hours a day in her crate next week.
    I suppose this sheds a new light on the situation. It sounds as though you have already made up your mind.*

Have you considered a dog walker? the training plus a good walk once or twice per week would be a good substitute until she is old enough for daycare.