Children at dog park
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Children at dog park

Mybabymambo Guest

DefaultChildren at dog park

Ok, yet another dog park rant. As well as another dog park.

I went to a large dog park on Sunday, was a very nice day so there were atleast 50 dogs there. Everything was fine until a man brought his very young kids in. All the dogs were running and chasing each other. I looked over and seen a little girl no older than maybe 2 running about 30 feet in front of her dad. I knew it wasnt good. And of course my puppy went after her. He jumped on her and knocked her to the ground before I could even say stop. He started kisisng her all over her face. She wasnt hurt. But why would you bring children to a park and let them run. First you not sopposed to run from dogs, second most of the dogs were atlerast double her weight. There is a child park right across the street. People suprise me sometimes.

Last night same dog park as the police issue in earlier tread. Police were on small side. A guy brought in his three dogs, his young child maybe about 2 and an infant in a hangy thing on the chest. All the dogs started jumping on the guy. All the owners got the dogs away. Next thing I know he has put the toddler on the ground in the back of the park and the child is back there running. Now this park isnt big at all. If a dog would have wanted to go after the little girl it would have only taken seconds. At that point me and another woman left. I didnt want to take the chance and watching the babies get hurt.

OH also update on Agressive terrrier I talked about the other day. She was there with her dog but would not bring him into the park. She told me she respected me for talking to her and didnt want to cause harm to her or anyones elses dog. ;D

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tbog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Children at dog park

If I saw that many dogs there, I would be tkaing mine home. I do take dd with me to the dog park (shes 4), but this is one that I go to often enough to know most of the regulars there. That said, shes always right by me.

Mybabymambo Guest

I never thought so many dogs would be an issue. Its a big park, Maybe the size of a baseball field and more. All the dogs were very well behaved. Plus I am always right near Mambo. Just incase something happens.

I really think not all kids should be at a dog park. There is a kid that comes to the dog park, about 13. He has no dog. He doesnt act right around them. He runs, lays on the ground, yells. I keep warning him he cant be in there and acting like that. But I dont agree with bringing infants or young toddlers. You never know what could happen. If they are by your side thats one thing. But letting the kid run free around. I think thats kinda dumb. They were putting their kids at risk by doing that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Dukesdad is offline Senior Member

At first, our large park had a "No Young Children Allowed" rule but after many people complained the rule was not only dropped but it was made clear that the dog owner would be liable for any injury to a child. I can't imagine why any "parent" would want to bring a small child into an area with strange free running dogs. I have even seen parents pushing strollers around the park and Duke just loves to go look and try to lick the baby in the stroller. And what about toddlers in diapers running around barefooted.
    Very young children, and even some adults, have no idea how to greet or treat a strange dog. The child may be use to pulling the ears of the family dog so they think it's OK to do that to any dog.
    Oh I could rant on and on about this issue.
    The best I can do is avoid the babies and small children. Duke and Freckles are real good about following my commands so I can move them away for any area.
    <br />Duke and Freckles

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

We occasionally come across smaller children even a toddler here and there at our "nice" dog park. The parents though are VERY good about keeping an eye on their child and keeping them near.

However... unlike others... I actually LIKE that because Ender doesn't come across kids all that often and it is a relief to see that he doesn't charge up to them and lick them to death and knock them down. He seems to reel in his body and while he doesn't avoid them.... he doesn't bump into them either. He's not afraid but he's not overly excited to see them.

To me... I take great pride and satisfaction knowing that Ender... even in his crazy chasing other dogs around the park mode... he still has manners! If he doesn't get over excited and lose control in that setting... I'm not sure in which setting he WOULD.

And a little Hip Hip Hooray for the labby temperment... I have watched a child as young as 1.5 years old poke and prod Ender... pull on his tail and pinch him... without him reacting in any manner other than either licking the hands near his face or walking away if he was uncomfortable.
    ~Lindsay

TimC. is offline Senior Member

A guy I work with has a 4 year old girl that wants a dog so bad she can taste it. He and his wife haven't come to an agreement about a dog yet so he takes her to dog shows and has me bring Oona over from time to time. I can see how someone in his situation would bring a kid to a dog park. But on the other hand I wouldn't let a kid wander around among dogs I don't know let alone let them roll around on the ground. Who knows who went to the bathroom their last and the ground has something special waiting for that kid? :-X
    Olie

ClockworkPlum is offline Member

Something like that happened to me today. I mean, children can be very annoying. My puppy (and he is 3 months old!!) ran after a girl who was like 6, or 7 years old. And she started screaming like nuts and the dog only ran around her, I mean, he didn't jump or anything! And her grandma started shouting at me! I was really, really mad, the puppy didn't do anything to her!
    http://cookielab.50megs.com<br /><br /><br /><br />

chanceyboy is offline Junior Member

WE take our girls, ages 10 and 5, with us to the dog park. We go as a family. My girls stay with me, and always ask dog owners if they may pet their dog. I can see where it could be dangerous for really young children, getting knocked over and such. Not to jump off topic, but I really hate the group of people that get mad if your dog goes and sniff their dog, lol. There is a group like this at the park I go to, I try to keep my dog on the oppisite end of the area!!!!

Kimba is offline Senior Member

A dog park is not a children's playground. This is going to sound really bad, but one day we went and there were some very young children at our dog park with 1 dog (they must have been friends). One boy was probably no older then 4. I was a little happy when Kimba went and ran over him and knocked him to the ground. I think he needed to learn his lesson. I also had one girl screaming in terror before we even got through the gate, I told her "sorry but this IS a DOG PARK..if you are scared then you HAVE to leave". Unsupervised children under 16 IMHO should not be in the dogpark. They are useless if their dog gets into it with another dog. And dogs will be dogs...aka UNPREDICTABLE.
    This drives me crazy..
    Also the little girls who come in unsupervised and then leave crying bc Kimba stole their fluff toys and trinkets they left laying around and ran around the park with it and got it dirty.
    I am really not as evil as this post sounds...this is just a HOT topic for me...

Mybabymambo Guest

I understand. A woman brought her kids in the other day. well behaved kids. But they brought stuffed animals. They were stolen as soon as they got in the gate and the mom wasnt very happy. But what did they expect? The dos owners tried to keep them away but the kids were kinda teasing them with it. One lady I know just let her dog go after the toys. TO teach the kids a lesson.

Oh and another thing I hate is people who bring in treats. Who would do that?????????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast