Disrespect vs Affection
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disrespect vs Affection

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultDisrespect vs Affection

So last night I was watching Animal Planet and the Milan guy was on. (no I HAVEN'T read his books or think he's the god of dog training) He had a Rottweiler (who was rescued) whose owner was having difficulty controlling him on a walk. (she had to wear GLOVES in order to hold onto the leash and the Rottie was standing on his hind legs barking at everything that made any sound) ANYWAYS... in the beginning the owner and Caesar were sitting in a living room talking and they had the dog come in to see how he'd greet them. The dog immediately came up to the owner, put his front paws on her chest/shoulders and licked her etc. She thought that was affection and Caesar was like "OH THAT IS SO DISRESPECTFUL!"

:-[ Ender does this :-[ Not as bad... but he's started doing it lately with more gusto and I had been thinking that was bad but I wasn't sure and didn't want to "correct" him for showing affection. He rarely jumps on people but he does invade your space when you first come in the door and when I come home from work he gets so excited and he does this to me on the couch.

Guess I'll be nipping THAT in the bud!
    ~Lindsay

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Disrespect vs Affection

The Dog Whisper comes on Animal Planet? here where I live it comes on A&E. I love that show...gives ya some good advice. Rascal isn't big enough yet to jump up on me,but I'm sure when he is he will try. I will not allow him to do that though. I don't want him to think it would be ok to do that with me, and then try it on my five yeard old daughter. He would knock her down. (HA)

Quote Originally Posted by Delielah
    The Dog Whisper comes on Animal Planet? here where I live it comes on A&E. I love that show...gives ya some good advice. Rascal isn't big enough yet to jump up on me,but I'm sure when he is he will try. I will not allow him to do that though. I don't want him to think it would be ok to do that with me, and then try it on my five yeard old daughter. He would knock her down. (HA)
    Well jumping up is one thing... but I do encourage Ender to get on the couch with us to snuggle... lately though it's been more of an overpowering greeting that I need to stop allowing.

Oh and maybe it was A&E... I figured it was about animals so it must have been on animal planet. (see how often I watch this show?)
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I am not a fan of Caesar Millan. I don't allow my dogs to jump all over me, but personally I LOVE being greeted by them when I get back. I look forward to it. It is natural...why would they NOT be happy to see their owner? it doesn't mean they disrespect you. They are happy to see you. Perhaps it is different in a more dominant dog like a Rottweiler but a Lab? nah, let um be.*

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

I have yet to see that show! I'm curious though...

CoCo has been jumping on people a lot lately when they come into the house... they get her SOOO freakin' excited with the high voice and the puppy talk... I can't say I blame her. Although, we do tell her "NO - OFF!" in a stern voice and push her down as I don't think its acceptable behaviour... and then when she has 4-on-the-floor we'll pet her and greet her. Not sure if it will work yet!
    ~Jo & CoCo

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

face licking is usually appeasement and simple greeting behavior for dogs.
    personally, i don't see disrespect.

when we look for signs of disrespect and dominance, then we are likely going to find it.
    not to totally discount people who truly have dogs with dominant temperaments, but most behavioral problems are simple lack of training issues.* instead of making unqualified judgments about the dog's intentions of climbing the social ladder (are you a certified animal behavorist?), we should consider that the dog is most likely just acting like a dog, and we can try taking the time and making the effort to train them to behave in ways we prefer them to behave.

http://www.dogscouts.com/lettinggoof...paradigm.shtml

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

IMO it's one thing to greet you at the door with a friendly lick,wag of the tail, but never to jump on you. I allow Rascal to get on the bed with me to snuggle and play. Right now we are in a rental and I don't allow him much playtime on the floor though. However,all that is gonna change in two more days. Going tomorrow to close on our house, so when we get there Friday he can play on the floor all he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by luke from georgia
    face licking is usually appeasement and simple greeting behavior for dogs.
    personally, i don't see disrespect.

when we look for signs of disrespect and dominance, then we are likely going to find it.
    not to totally discount people who truly have dogs with dominant temperaments, but most behavioral problems are simple lack of training issues. instead of making unqualified judgments about the dog's intentions of climbing the social ladder (are you a certified animal behavorist?), we should consider that the dog is most likely just acting like a dog, and we can try taking the time and making the effort to train them to behave in ways we prefer them to behave.

http://www.dogscouts.com/lettinggoof...paradigm.shtml
    It's not just face licking... it's let me invade your whole side of the couch... put my paws on you, heck my entire upper body on your chest and put my head higher than yours. That seems a bit "out of control" for my liking.

And when I say "nip it in the bud" I mean just blocking him from doing it.. not "correcting" him or yelling at him or hurting him.. just putting my body in a way that blocks him from being too exuberant. (This is what Caesar did on the show)
    ~Lindsay

Face licking alone is not disrespect...what he was calling disrespectful was jumping up, putting his paws on her shoulders and then face licking.

I think you noticed the difference Lindsay between snuggling and when it turned into something you felt you wanted to correct. I think your instincts with Ender's behavior are always dead on. Youre not one of those in-denial Lab owners, who never see a problem with their dog's behavior. Actually, you are the FIRST one to notice something is problematic and want to correct it.

CoCo has been jumping on people a lot lately when they come into the house... they get her SOOO freakin' excited with the high voice and the puppy talk... I can't say I blame her.* Although, we do tell her "NO - OFF!" in a stern voice and push her down as I don't think its acceptable behaviour... and then when she has 4-on-the-floor we'll pet her and greet her.* Not sure if it will work yet!
    On the show there was a dog who did the same thing. Of course the owners told him "NO..and OFF" but it didnt' work. Ceaser told them to not say a word to them,turn their back,and ignore him. That even if you are telling them "no" you are giving them attention. Yes,it may be negitive attention but it's still attention. So, the man did just what he was told. The dog jumped up on him, so he turned his back(w/out saying a word) and just ignored him. The dog got down and didn't jump up again after a few times of doing this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast