Brushing a dogs teeth

Thread: Brushing a dogs teeth

udfdshultz is offline Junior Member

DefaultBrushing a dogs teeth

Hello everyone, it has been a LONG time since I have been on here. However, here is my question. Riley is about 21 months now and we just recently tried to brush his teeth. (I know it should have been done long before). He really doesn't like us doing it to much because he constantly is trying to eat the speacial toothpaste that comes with the kit, while the brush is in his mouth. There are a few teeth that have some discoloration on them so we were trying to brush it away. During the brushing the color did not seem to fade at all and right above his one tooth it started to bleed. Does anyone know how to get the discoloration away and is the bleding just because his gum arent used to it and are sensitive?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Brushing a dogs teeth

Have you tried giving him regular raw marrow bones to chew on? bones do a great job of teeth cleaning.

udfdshultz is offline Junior Member

Well he gets a lot of raw hide bones, but as for raw marrow bones I have to say I am not sure I know what that exactly is.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Rawhide is ok, but raw meaty bones are much better for teeth cleaning. You can get them from your local butcher.

One of my boys chowing down on one:

imported_azlab is offline Senior Member

Cinnamon gets a raw bone several times per week and her teeth look great. I started brushing her teeth at 8 weeks and she still likes to eat the tooth paste. In fact now she lets me use my old Sonic Care toothbrush on her.
    Karon<br /><br />

WeHeartLabs is offline Senior Member

Yes, the bleeding is from the gums not being used to it. They arent sensitized to the brush bristles yet. They eventually will and the bleeding will stop. We use the marrow and knuckle bones also. And I need to brush hers more often than I do now to get her used to it.
    :-\ But she also loves the chicken flavor of the paste and is more interested in eating that, then letting me brush lol
    <br /><br />

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I brush Sami's every day ... have since she got her adult teeth. I also give raw beef marrow bones once or twice a week. These can be purchased at the grocery store or a butcher shop.

I would suspect that you will not be able to get rid of the discoloration w/out a professional cleaning.