Black lab with white chest markings--from Canada?

Thread: Black lab with white chest markings--from Canada?

kpowell is offline Senior Member

DefaultBlack lab with white chest markings--from Canada?

When we first got Jack, our black lab, our friend who raises labs for field work told my husband that Jack must be from a "Candadian strain" because he had white markings on his chest.* Since we found Jack, I have no idea what his background is, and was just wondering if what my friend told my husband was true.* BTW, he is a huge lab--weighs 105 lbs. although should weigh about 90 lbs. (I'm working on slimming him down).* He also has a very square head.* I will try to post a picture if I can figure out how.* THANKS!
    Jack's Mom

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Black lab with white chest markings--from Canada?

Your friend is full of horse hockey.

Laura

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Black lab with white chest markings--from Canada?

Never heard this. I think a small white patch on the chest is permissible in the Lab standard but I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with where a dog is from or its line (field/show). Generally, field Labs are smaller than show type Labs as they are bred for work. While the look of a field Lab differs from line to line, they are usually very lean in comparison to show type dogs. Of course, the only way you will know if your dog is a true field type Lab is by its pedigree...as your dog is a rescue, you can probabaly assume he is a pet bred and not field bred.