Just Labradors banner

Are there some things you give up on breaking your dog of?

2K views 30 replies 23 participants last post by  Samson 
#1 ·
I think I just need to accept that likes to unroll toilet paper. For the longest time, I left my bathroom door shut when I left because Jes liked to pull it off the roll so I'd come home to 12 feet of toilet paper unrolled. Well, when I moved I guess I stopped being as diligent and even after all that time, the first day I left it open he unrolled it. I think it's amusing, so it's not a huge deal, but I don't know that there's a way (short of leaving the door closed or taking the toilet paper off the roll) to keep him from doing it. I think that's just his "thing."

#3 ·
I actually lost the thingy that holds the toilet paper and people are always yelling from my bathroom, "where's your toilet paper?" Brigetta loved to pull it off of the roll!
As for what I've given up on...her licking me non-stop. I used to do the "no lick" command. I never had a dog who licked and I really didn't like it...but now- I just let her do it. I think it's funny now when I'm on the couch and she jumps up and gives me a big lick. Oh- and her jumping in the shower with me every day! There's enough room where she doesn't bother me, so I no longer kick her out.

#8 ·
Trying to keep Gus out of the bin.

I have been through so many different bins but every one he has managed to break into so now the rubbish is put into a bag at the very back of the counter until it goes outside.............he still gets the bag sometimes and makes a huge mess but it's just a case of clearing up the ensuing mess and getting on with the day :D

#9 ·
Cinnamon shredding paper and her toys. It is not worth the effort they are her toys and if all she destroys is paper I have it made compared to some of the damage I have seen here. Though I refuse to give up on trying to break her of eating the crotches out of my underwear.

#10 ·
theoconbrio said:
Yep. We *had* a no-dogs-on-the-couch rule. That lasted about a month. Ultimately, I just didn't feel like putting the effort in to manage it or train something different, so we bought blankets. :)
I'm going to second this! Though my rule wasn't to "not" allow him on the couch but for him to always be "let" on the couch. Well now it's HIS couch and he gives me the look if I sit on HIS side ::)

#11 ·
My son thought it would be clever to teach Emma to un-do the toilet paper FOR YOU while you are sitting there. When she sees someone going to the bathroom, IN she charges over to the roll and paws at it until there is a nice, partially muddy or soggy pile of paper at your feet, sits there beaming proudly, waiting for an atta girl ::)

And the sleeping on the bed thing. We gave up the 2nd night she was allowed in the bedroom with us. lol! This was the Dh's rule. Ok she can be in the bedroom but NOT on the bed! Guess who she cuddles up next to now? uh huh....

#12 ·
hahaha!! Great thread!

And oh yes. Eventually I have had to accept defeat. Angus is going to follow me upstairs. And because Angus does, Simon does. I cannot stop this.

#14 ·
theoconbrio said:
AngusFangus said:
hahaha!! Great thread!

And oh yes. Eventually I have had to accept defeat. Angus is going to follow me upstairs. And because Angus does, Simon does. I cannot stop this.
And admit it, your life is better for it, isn't it? :D
You know, those little things that start out so frustrating do end up providing a lot of humor. It sounds stupid, but I always chuckle when I come home to a butt wiggling Lab and a stream of toilet paper coming out of the bathroom.

#17 ·
I don't have any of those significant  "just accept it" things with Puff [YF, AKC field line (competitive breeder). 63 lbs., DOB: 8-'01].

But I did have a couple with Bess [BF, AKC bench line (competitive breeder), 55 lbs., 1967-81]. 

Char and I worked at a hospital during the day and Bess had the run of the house.  We lived within 5 minutes of work so we easily ran home at noon to let her out.

We soon learned that ANY food left on a kitchen counter or ANYwhere except behind a refrigerator door was vulnerable to Bess's "fair game" rule. 

And, as I said in my tribute to Bess in the Rainbow Bridge section, 'Bess regarded the kitchen trash container as Eve must have viewed the apple tree...'

Screw tops, whatever we tried, were never a match for Bess.

The only way to keep Bess from rifling through one for bits of food was to keep it behind the latched door in the kitchen that led to the basement stairway whenever we weren't at home.

#18 ·
hahaha!! Great thread!

And admit it, your life is better for it, isn't it?
OK, OK! I do like it when I'm getting ready in the mornings and I am suddenly surprised by two butt-wigglers. :p And I will also admit that I now cast a backwards glance as I go up the stairs...Um, hello? Are you going to follow me or what? :D

You're right Nick, it is those little things that give them personality and make them unique. :)

#20 ·
einsteins legacy said:
I've given up on trying to teach Duncan to "give paw" or "shake".  It just isn't happening :-\.
I thought the same with Shadow - but she just 'got it' this last weekend! I kept telling her "give me paw" and picking up her foot and it didn't click. So, I tried doing it with a treat in my other hand. I'd say "give me paw" and pick up her right paw, then tell her "YES! good paw!" and give her the treat. Now when I saw "give me paw" and have a treat in my hand, she shoves that right paw out there so fast she looks like a politician during election year! :D

#21 ·
Wesley is now and forever more shall be a thief. If an errant item lands on the floor (and believe me, with three kids, there are a lot of things that land on the floor in the course of a day), he WILL take it and scoot to the dining room in a black blur, proud as a peacock over his prize. He gives it up, yes. And if I tell him to LEAVE IT before he grabs it, he will. But left to his own devices, it's his.

G
#22 ·
Great topic. I have a few things I have now given up on. And few I wont give up on.

I have give up on making not dig. Its easier to fill the hole back up than to tell him not to do it. I have also given up closing doors in my house. who would have thought as the person making the mortgage every month I would be able to shut the door in my house.

We still are working on the come and down..He can do alot of commands, but will not do those.

#25 ·
dweck said:
Wesley is now and forever more shall be a thief. If an errant item lands on the floor (and believe me, with three kids, there are a lot of things that land on the floor in the course of a day), he WILL take it and scoot to the dining room in a black blur, proud as a peacock over his prize. He gives it up, yes. And if I tell him to LEAVE IT before he grabs it, he will. But left to his own devices, it's his.
This is CoCo.... except for maybe the last 3 sentences... lol! But we're working on that!

She is also a protective barker when inside the house.... No man, woman or child walking up the sidewalk (which is on the OPPOSITE side of the street from our house, with our yard in between as well) is considered a non-threat!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.