Question: Free Roam Priviledges...
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question: Free Roam Priviledges...

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion: Free Roam Priviledges...

Toby's thread got me thinking...
    some dogs are crated, some have free roam, others have semi-free.

At what age did you start leaving them home alone uncrated, or are they crated, do they have access to only certain areas?* * Home alone arrangements?

Zoe was on the outside step area till 2-1/2.* She seemed to be more comfortable outside w/a doghouse.* At 2-1/2 she needed surgery on her paw, and because of her "cone" we could not leave her on the steps.* We put baby gates* to keep her in the family/kitchen and hallway.* This is where she spends her day when we're away.

Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question: Free Roam Priviledges...

Zoesmom:

Lexi was somewhere around 12-18 months when I got her from the rescue. Since so little was known about her background prior to her ending up in the shelter in Lake Charles, LA, I opted to crate her at the outset. She was crated for approximately 8 weeks, 'til I was sure she was beyond having accidents in the house.

Then I left her confined to my kitchen (I have a big kitchen, it is 12 x 15 approx.). I had to use two baby-gates in the doorway to the dining room, but she did great in there. Finally about 3 months ago, I started giving her run of the house. The only room I shut the door to is my bedroom, as I would prefer she NOT sleep on my bed. I am fairly sure she sleeps on either the sofa or my chair, even though she has a bed in the kitchen. I have not had a single issue with her messing or chewing.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

lablover is offline Senior Member

I would say Fudge got free roam around 1 year old. You just need to remember that I had 2 older teenages at that time. I cannot think of anything he ever go into. Nutmeg & Fudge have free roam of the home, with a dog door that goes out to a large fenced backyard. Even if they got out of our backyard they would still stay on our 10 acres. They just do not roam. Good dogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Angus is two and still crated when we are gone. It is probably almost time to start discussing letting him out for short periods to transition him. BUT, he is so attached to his crate!

Simon is baby-gated in the kitchen. As far as I can tell, he never bothers a thing.

Crash always stayed outside on the screened-in porch when we were gone. He would have been so easy to leave inside, I don't know why we never did. He would never have dreamed of bothering anything of ours.

We used to have a strict "no upstairs" rule with Crash, which he always abided. Well, that has gone out the window with velcro Angus. We have just over the past several months relaxed the rules a little bit...they can be up there if one of us is up there too. When I am not paying them enough attention, they sneak up there and I always hear the floor squeak, so they get busted every time. I'm pretty sure they do it on purpose, 'cause they know that'll get me out of the computer chair.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Jes was crated until 1 year (with one exception where he proved he wasn't ready). He I left him uncrated, but locked in my room until about 18 months, and ever since he's had full roam.

Ironically, up until the past year I would find him in his crate when I came home. Eventually, he moved to my bed, so I finally put his crate up about 6 months ago.

patm is offline Senior Member

Skippy stayed in a crate until he was about 1 year old, then in the house at night with his mom. Emilu stayed in her crate till she was about 1.5 years old (at night) They both stay in an outside kennel during the day and are with us when we aren't at work, and have full house priviledges at night. I do leave them alone in the house for many hours at a time if we are gone, but if we are gone all day, they go outside unless the weather is really bad or something.

Oh boy, Henery (at almost 3 1/2) is still crated when I'm out of the house for more than an hour! I'm sure he would be fine... it's me who runs scenarios through my head like, what if he chews his toys and chokes on them? What if he gets into something and there's no one around to help him?

In his crate I know he's safe. He'll often nap in there in the evenings, so I know he must like it.

At night, he gets free roam of our bedroom, but that's pretty much it!!

einstein's legacy is offline Senior Member

Each was crated for different lengths of time. We got Max at 10 weeks old, he was crated for a couple of months, mainly because I feared Einstein would kill him (Einstein was close to 10 y.o. when we got Max and was not happy to have another 4 legged person in the house). We got Jake at 6 months, he was crated for around 3 months (once summer vacation came around and I was home most of the time there was no need to crate him). Duncan came to us also at close to 6 months old, he was crated for about 2 weeks, if that long. There was just no need for longer crating.

I wonder what would happen if I brought the crate(s) out again?? Do you think the pooches would go into them to relax?? Sounds like an interesting experiment!!

Maybe we were just lucky, it was so easy for whatever reason.

We had a crate ready when we brought Tucker home at 8 weeks.* We used a treat to get him to go into the crate, but left the door open (it was in the kitchen at first).* We'd close the door when he went in and slept, then opened it when he awoke, to take him out to potty; the only time the door was closed (when we were home) was when he went in to take a nap.* Other than that, the crate door was left open so he could go in and out as he wanted.*

First week home, we confined him to the kitchen...we stayed with him in the kitchen, playing with him.* Week 2, we slowly let him explore the other rooms in the house.* We were always there with him (were still potty training).* He's had free roam of the house since he was 10 weeks old.

He was only crated when we were at work or gone somewhere, (never when we were home), until about 6 mos.* I started leaving him for short periods uncrated, and by 9 mos. we quit using the crate entirely.* We probably could've quit using it before then, but didn't.* He never tore anything up in the house.

By around 10 mos., he had free roam outside in the yard and nearby field that he was allowed to go wander.* He stays around fine.*

We're finishing a deck out back, and installing new doors, and with the weather milder, plus the work going on, lots of days I've just been leaving the back door open; he goes out when he wants and comes back in when he's ready.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

I wonder what would happen if I brought the crate(s) out again?? Do you think the pooches would go into them to relax?? Sounds like an interesting experiment!!
    LOL let us know if you do it. I had to get Zoe's crate out when we had my mom's dog, as well as when Kai had a sleep over. After the dogs exited, Zoe had to go in her crate to check who slept there.

Unfortunately, Zoe was not crate trained during the day. She would go in readily at bedtime onlly.
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast